When is 'free shipping', really free shipping?

OneOver99
New Community Member

I won an auction for a Fender guitar on Ebay...WooHoo!

The description in the shipping section was very clear that it would be FREE. Since it is coming from Japan, I figured that I really saved a lot of money there...

Anyway, before the auction was over, I told the seller I didn't want to pay any charges for US Customs. He replied and said that he marks his shipments as a gift, and it doesn't incur a charge at Customs. Well, after I won the auction, the seller said that he thought I would incur a charge from US Customs. AFTER the auction was over, he said this. I contacted Ebay to tell them, and they actuallly suggest that I go through with releasing the funds via PayPal as it is protected uner the BPP. They said the seller has all responsibility on paying the costs to export from Japan and import to US. Seller said in the email, that one of his customers said he had to pay 'he thinks'.

Who should I believe?

Not just that, but is this something I can dispute after I roll the dice and release the funds?

What would you do? ...Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

btw - Ive never purchased anything from out of US, and beforehand, I tried to find out what US Customs even charges for an 8lb guitar, but I was unable. If you know how to do that, may you please help pooint me in the right direction there as well? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry...well not really, I'm not going to help soemone comming Postal Fraud and a Federal Offense

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

No the seller doesn't pay the "customs" fee, you do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.