Unknown payment received for an item I've never sold on eBay

shaunreeves
New Community Member
A couple of days ago I received a payment for a clothing product I have never sold on eBay. Prior to to this I also received a couple of emails asking me to reset my PayPal password approximately 3 weeks before the deposit. I have not refunded the payment as I'm uncertain if this will then open up my account to the individual who has deposited it (sounds crazy but the digital world we live in is a scary one recently!) And I did not request an emai to reset my password as "I had forgotten it!" I have removed all cards and my bank account from my PayPal account in fear of any financial loss. I have forwarded on the email to PayPal's fraud department (spoof@) but not received a reply as of yet, but will post as soon as I hear something. I have contacted the seller on eBay asking if they have heard of this individual, yet with no reply but will keep the community posted. Just wondered what I should do next, any ideas?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

shaunreeves -

Welcome to the Community!

That is definitely a disconcerting series of events.  First, the payment - if you weren't expecting it, and you didn't list the eBay item, I would definitely recommend refunding it.  This won't expose you to additional liability or risk; in fact, refunding it will reduce your liability as a merchant. 

If you didn't list this item, you may also consider looking into if it was listed with your eBay ID.  If it was, take actions to secure your eBay account, such as changing your password there.

Lastly, don't forget to change your PayPal password and security questions (it may also be a good idea to change your associated email account passwords too).

I know it seems like a lot, but I would also ask you to consider that it is possible some other seller entered the wrong email address on their auction listing.  It's amazing how a single typographical error can change everything!

Let us know about those emails and how they come back!

Thanks,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.