Seller issuing a cancel transaction. How safe is my refund?

DNGrigorov
Contributor
Contributor

Hello PayPal community!

I'm having some trouble here finding out just how the whole cancelling a transaction process works. I've read quite a few Ebay forum threads about the issue but I see a wide range of responses, most of which start to make less and less sense the further the reply count goes. So I've decided to try out the PayPal community as I see everything is much more precise here.

I've noticed a few threads about how it works from the sellers perspective but I as a buyer am not fully aware of how the whole process works.

Anyway here's my story: I've recently won an auction for an item and being the happy person that I was at the time I paid on the day after through PayPal. After a day or two I noticed that the item wasn't being shipped. The seller later contacted me that the item was lost and he would be unable to send it, so HE issued a cancel transaction.

Now since this is the first time it's happened to me I clicked on "Take Action" and it sent me to a page about the case itself. I can either decline the sellers request to cancel the transaction or accept it. Now what's bothering me is that theres a little notice that says "You should only accept the cancellation request if you haven't paid yet or you've already received your refund from the seller. If you haven't received your refund, contact the seller". He hasn't refunded me yet, so I've also withheld any action on my part. I've messaged him that I'd be more than happy to accept the cancelling only after I've received my refund.

The detail that was worrying me was that 7 days after the request to cancel the transaction was made, if I don't take action, the seller would be able to close the transaction himself without my consent. This is where the main problem stems from. When I go to customer support and try to use the Resolution Center it says that I can't open a case because it's too early. And even after these 7 days pass (I'm still on the 1st day) it still wouldn't be in time.

So basically what happens is the seller would be able to close the transaction before I can actually get a case started through the Resolution Center.

What got me wondering was whether it affects my eligibility for an "Ebay, Money Back Guarantee!" refund, with him closing the transaction and all, or is that simply a way to speed up the entire process instead of having to wait?

Overall a shorter version would be - Does accepting or declining a transaction cancellation (issued by the seller) make any difference in the way my refund (as the buyer) is handled?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do not accept it until you have a refund.

if it just closes the seller will get his ebay fee credit but it should not stop you fromopening a dispute for non receipt of item.

Have you contacted the seller and asked for the refund??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do not accept it until you have a refund.

if it just closes the seller will get his ebay fee credit but it should not stop you fromopening a dispute for non receipt of item.

Have you contacted the seller and asked for the refund??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DNGrigorov
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah. I'm currently waiting for a reply. But worse case scenario he doesn't respond. What should I do? Should I decline the request to cancel the transaction or let him close it?

Or will it make no difference?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.