Newbie needs help as Ebay seller

foxchasejrt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All - I have made purchases only so far with PayPal on Ebay and through private dealings. I have items that I want to sell on Ebay. I recently closed my bank accounts and am using a WalMart prepay card, it says GreenDot on the back. My question, when a buyer pays me through PayPal will it be added to my card balance or will it become part of my PayPal account balance? (another thing I don't understand the workings of)  I previously had a seller give me a credit when I overpaid for shipping, that went straight to my card, but I think that would be considered a refund.

Does anyone know anything about how this would work for me? Thanks for any help!

Barb

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you want to sell on eBay or anywhere else, you need either a Premier or Business Account.  Note, you "must" verify your PayPal Account.  Just linking a prepaid type card won't work.

As for how refunds work:

If you paid using your PayPal Account Balance or Bank Account, the refund is credited back to your PayPal Account Balance. Times can vary for many reasons, it can take from 1 day to several days depending on the funding source used by the party doing the refund.

If you paid using a credit card, the refund is credited back to that card. That process can take up to 2 weeks for the credit to appear on your card statement.

If you paid using a prepaid type card, the refund is credited back to that card however, as many cards are not reloadable, you have to contact the card issuer for assistance with getting the credit reapplied to the card.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you want to sell on eBay or anywhere else, you need either a Premier or Business Account.  Note, you "must" verify your PayPal Account.  Just linking a prepaid type card won't work.

As for how refunds work:

If you paid using your PayPal Account Balance or Bank Account, the refund is credited back to your PayPal Account Balance. Times can vary for many reasons, it can take from 1 day to several days depending on the funding source used by the party doing the refund.

If you paid using a credit card, the refund is credited back to that card. That process can take up to 2 weeks for the credit to appear on your card statement.

If you paid using a prepaid type card, the refund is credited back to that card however, as many cards are not reloadable, you have to contact the card issuer for assistance with getting the credit reapplied to the card.

Login to Me Too

foxchasejrt
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the speedy and informative reply. Just completed upgrading my account and reading the help files relating. I appreciate you heading me in the right direction! Thanks so much! Barb
Login to Me Too

Damma
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie here also.  Was curious as to how you were asked to verify your banking account.  Were you asked for your on-line banking password by PayPal for "instant verification?"

Login to Me Too

foxchasejrt
Contributor
Contributor
When I was verified, I did have a checking account and it was a few years ago that it happened, so I don't exactly remember the specifics. I believe they verified my bank account with a deposit, I could be wrong. I know I never gave anyone my banking password. No one should ever ask for your password. I've had this account for several years, but have only used it for buying, so far.
Login to Me Too

Damma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, you recentrly answered a question which was very informative.  I was curious though.  I have a personal account which I recently opened as well as a new seller account on Ebay.  I am able to conduct business through this method.  Am I doing something wrong?  Everything seems to be going fairly smoothly so far.

Login to Me Too

foxchasejrt
Contributor
Contributor
Are you having a hold period put on the funds paid by your buyers? I read PayPal will do that until you are an established seller. They have criteria posted that I read in the help area.
Login to Me Too

Damma
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, absolutely.  I would NEVER give anyone my banking password, and yes, they held my money and are still holding new sales.  They've released my first sale, which was substantial, so I'm able to continue selling, but I feel for anyone who has to wait for a month because they don't want to share private information and are punished by this.  I didn't see anywhere where I had to become a business account to do business.  Also, I am doing a lot of these sales for friends, so most of my sales are not my money.  I really don't want to open a business account because this is not my "career".  I think it's great though that you were able to be guided into the right direction by other PayPal and Ebay'rs as to how to do things.  I'm finding it difficult to get certain topics addressed...maybe that's my fault, by pushing the wrong buttons on people, but I'm a die hard Republican Constitutionalist  and some things just don't "gel" for me.  Good luck in your business!

Login to Me Too

foxchasejrt
Contributor
Contributor
I got alot of info from the help areas (I have a habit of reading everything I can get my hands on about a subject). There are ways to shorten the hold period for Ebay by documenting when the item shipped, providing tracking #'s, etc. I would encourage you to explore all the short snipets of info in the help area. You can shorten the wait time to as little as 3 days by following those tips, even if you are an unestablished seller. Also, I upgraded to a premiere account (I think that's the right name), and only difference is being able to do more with the account and being able to get other products like debit and prepay cards which in turn enable you to sign up for incentive cash back plans. The seller rates are the same for every type of account, which is nice. Best of luck to you, I hope you are able to get all questions answered 🐵 Barb
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.