* Help . eBay / Paypal Invoice

JeanQA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone !

I have a question about selling an item on eBay using Paypal.

I have used eBay for several years and used eBay checkout (but not using Paypal)

and their Invoice to send to a buyer.  My question is, now that I also have Paypal, 

and I see there is an Invoice in Paypal....  will the buyer receive an invoice from both

eBay and Paypal ?  if so do they cross reference so the info is the same?   Or....

Do you choose which invoice you want to send the buyer... eBay or Paypal... 

and  how would you change the setting for one of them to  Not  send an Invoice?

I would think it would be confusing for the buyer to receive an Invoice from 2 places...

Thanks for any help on this matter....Smiley Frustrated

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

JeanQA -

Well we meet again Smiley Very Happy Tonight's my night on the eBay boards and I noticed no one had stopped in to help you out here.

So, when you sell on eBay, the buyer receives notification from eBay that the item is ready to be paid for and eBay will send the invoice.  PayPal won't send a duplicate and we don't send any automated invoices (though some sellers have created programs to automate large scale invoicing operations, I'm certain).

You could send a PayPal one on your own, but as you noted, it isn't really necessary.  Where PayPal invoices come in really handy is where your buyer isn't going through a standard checkout process. 

For example, let's say you're an attorney (yes, some attorneys do take PayPal - mine does!) and you want to bill your client.  You fill out your customized invoice with all the hourly fees, expenses, total it up, add tax, and send it out.  They receive a copy in their email and can then pay directly through the invoice or through their own PayPal account - and no account is always needed! You can invoice anyone with an email address.

I'm not 100% certain - it's been awhile since I was actively involved on selling in eBay (someone else handles that side of the business now) - but I don't believe you can turn off the eBay invoices.  That setting may have since changed, so hopefully someone else in our Community can stop in and share their expertise.  If not, there is always eBay's own community message boards or their help pages.

Hope this helps (and glad to see you again!)

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

JeanQA -

Well we meet again Smiley Very Happy Tonight's my night on the eBay boards and I noticed no one had stopped in to help you out here.

So, when you sell on eBay, the buyer receives notification from eBay that the item is ready to be paid for and eBay will send the invoice.  PayPal won't send a duplicate and we don't send any automated invoices (though some sellers have created programs to automate large scale invoicing operations, I'm certain).

You could send a PayPal one on your own, but as you noted, it isn't really necessary.  Where PayPal invoices come in really handy is where your buyer isn't going through a standard checkout process. 

For example, let's say you're an attorney (yes, some attorneys do take PayPal - mine does!) and you want to bill your client.  You fill out your customized invoice with all the hourly fees, expenses, total it up, add tax, and send it out.  They receive a copy in their email and can then pay directly through the invoice or through their own PayPal account - and no account is always needed! You can invoice anyone with an email address.

I'm not 100% certain - it's been awhile since I was actively involved on selling in eBay (someone else handles that side of the business now) - but I don't believe you can turn off the eBay invoices.  That setting may have since changed, so hopefully someone else in our Community can stop in and share their expertise.  If not, there is always eBay's own community message boards or their help pages.

Hope this helps (and glad to see you again!)

Adrian

Login to Me Too

JeanQA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again !!!!!    Smiley Happy

Thank you for replying !!!!   That does make sense,  I was searching for info on Paypal's Invoicing and could only find instructions on how to invoice, but nothing about  Paypal  being or not being automatic.  That is good to know....  the paypal invoice would be good for maybe a second notice reminder  ... also if you are selling from your own website...

I was thinking how confused I would be, if buying off eBay,  and I received 2 invoices from different places for the same item...  especially if I had already paid on the first one....     I appreciate your reply so much...

Where is that Kudos button ??    Smiley LOL

Jean

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Heehee Smiley Happy Just click on the little "thumbs up" to give a kudos to a post.  

Thank you again for all the compliments!

Login to Me Too

JeanQA
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley LOL   You've Got It  !!!

Jean

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.