Ebay

TheGruffalo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, no idea if this is wrong area.

Looking for some help, I was viewing an item on eBay and messaged the person selling something asking if there's a buy it now price, he said I'd take £20.

So I said, yeah that's great, so I sent him £20 via PayPal ( We agreed this over eBay messages) - yes you can guess, he hasn't sent me the item I paid for. When I went to PayPal to open a case, it says this

" We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly. "

I believe I may have clicked on the wrong thing when sending him money, is there anyway I can reclaim the money?

Thanks in advance.

TheGruffalo.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have been scammed.  It's against eBay's policies to sell an item outside of the system.  Because the seller has the item listed, he cannot ask you to use the Send Money feature to purchase it, it must be done thru the eBay listing.  The Send Money feature is better for sending money to friends or family.  From PayPal's perspective, the transaction does not look like a purchase.  If the seller had removed the item from eBay and then sent you an invoice, you would have been covered for buyer protection.  Unfortunately it looks like you're out of both the money and the item.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have been scammed.  It's against eBay's policies to sell an item outside of the system.  Because the seller has the item listed, he cannot ask you to use the Send Money feature to purchase it, it must be done thru the eBay listing.  The Send Money feature is better for sending money to friends or family.  From PayPal's perspective, the transaction does not look like a purchase.  If the seller had removed the item from eBay and then sent you an invoice, you would have been covered for buyer protection.  Unfortunately it looks like you're out of both the money and the item.

Login to Me Too

TheGruffalo
Contributor
Contributor
Hello snowshoe, Thank you for the reply. At least that clears it up, I'm glad it wasn't a large amount of money, I'll not make that mistake again. Thank you once again. The Gruffalo.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.