where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

TomHAL
New Community Member

This is no longer available on all account I just spoke to customer service who said it is case-by-case. Paypay charges a very high conversion cost. 

Login to Me Too

carmenvima
Contributor
Contributor

Yes there is...not as easy as before...but once set you are done in everything.

Click on the crane, then payments (on menu) then preapproved payments, then click on Available funding options, there you get all your payments linked and click on conversions and set them to the seller currency listed.  And you will get your bank currency exchange.

Login to Me Too

dinna
New Community Member

When i changed to "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice", paypal wouldn't allow me to send money....I don't know why...

Login to Me Too

Asta55
Contributor
Contributor

I want that my Conversion Option (as a buyer) is turned on to "My card issuer determines the rate and any fees" permanently.

How to do it?

The rutine for "Set Paypal Currency Conversion Options" doesn't work; although I select option "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice", PayPal goes on with their option "Use PayPal's conversion process to complete my transaction using my card's currency".

Shame of them! So large and wealthy company (by money and human resorses) tells us that they aren't able to solve this problem immediately! And we supposed to belive in that! Come on!

Login to Me Too

akitoth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks bbozhanov, you saved my day! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

It is very simple. But it does not work.

When you at the checkout on ebay, the only option is Paypal's currency conversion rate and it is riddiculously low

Login to Me Too

Janezek
Contributor
Contributor
Yes it is correct. Buying on Ebay and using other conversion option is no longer available at checkout. Paypal i want my bank currency conversion back. You have bad currency conversions.
Login to Me Too

Janezek
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal can you disable your "Tell us what you think - brief survey" that cover over the forum page constantly?

Login to Me Too

Janezek
Contributor
Contributor

If we read this section in Paypal policy updates maybe can clear the currency conversion situation?

8. Fees and Currency Conversion

8.2 Currency Conversion.

If your transaction involves a currency conversion by PayPal, it will be completed at a foreign exchange rate determined by a financial institution, which is adjusted regularly based on market conditions.

The exchange rate is adjusted regularly and may be applied immediately and without notice to you.

This exchange rate includes a processing fee expressed as a certain percentage above the wholesale exchange rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency, and the processing fee is retained by PayPal.

Where a currency conversion is offered by PayPal at the point of sale you will be shown the exchange rate that will be applied to the transaction before you proceed with authorising the payment transaction. By proceeding with your authorisation of the payment transaction you are agreeing to the currency conversion on the basis of the exchange rate.

You may opt out of a currency conversion by PayPal before you complete your payment by selecting “Other Conversion options” on the “Review Your Information” page during checkout.

Where a currency conversion is offered at the point of sale by the merchant, not by PayPal, and you choose to authorise the payment transaction on the basis of the merchant's exchange rate and charges, PayPal has no liability to you for that currency conversion.

The “Currency Converter” tool can be accessed through your Account and used to see what exchange rates apply at any given time.

Where your payment is funded by a Debit or Credit Card and involves a currency conversion, by entering into this agreement you consent to and authorise PayPal to convert the currency in place of your Credit or Debit card issuer.

A Currency Conversion Fee (as set out in Schedule 1 of this Agreement) will apply whenever PayPal performs a currency conversion.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.