where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

simbg77
New Community Member

Hi, 

to change your currency default option, do the following:

My Account -> Profile -> My Money -> My preapproved payments -> Update -> See Available Funding Sources (or Set Available Funding Sources) -> Conversion Options (for card you'd like to change this option)-> Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice -> Submit

Hope, it helps.

Login to Me Too

monacoo
New Community Member

How can I change payment currency? I always want to pay in currency listed in invoice and let the bank do the conversion if necessary, but I can not see this option anymore. Please advise where is this option hidden now and how to select it.

I can do it in AliPay but I can not do it with paypal anymore.

Without it Paypal has became useless for me since my bank offers different options for different currencies and current setting results in double conversions. Not to mention extremely bad conversion rate in paypal...

Login to Me Too

Timmcsy
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! Thanks for the answer, but my problem is the same as that of the questioner. What you wrote worked on the old site (altough since ca. half a year it was set that the bank should do the conversion, still it happaned a couple times, that paypal did it...) but the enviroment just changed and I can't find it anymore to doublecheck. There is no My profile tab and under the settings I just can't seem to find it. :S

Does someone maybe know where to find this setting on the new site?

Login to Me Too

Ger2
New Community Member

Thanks for the recommendation on changing the option away from PayPal doing the conversion to being billed in the merchants currency. With the recent update to the paypal website and its merchant connector

1. the option to switch from PayPal doing the conversion to my home country's currency back to letting my credit card do the currency conversion  after using the merchants own charging currency has been removed from the transaction application interface

2. trying to find the option to move back to (in my case) letting my credit card company do the currency conversion instead of paypal's not so attractive currency conversion rate is buried ridiculously deep and obscurely in the usage dialogue.

I am going to send my experience to EU competition authority with a request for an investigation.

Login to Me Too

SamMcGee
New Community Member

You've taken away the option to pay with the currency charged. The default it to have PayPal do the currency conversion for you with an excessive charge. I demand that you return the option of being able to default payment with the currency that is charged!

Login to Me Too

Linuxglobal
New Community Member

the option is still there, but its is VERY hard to find. See process below

1. Gear icon, top right

2 Payments tab near the top (next to security tab)

3. Click on "manage pre-approved payments"

4. On the left hand side, you will see "Can't find what you're looking for? Try the manage preapproved payments page."

4.1 Click on "manage preaproved payments"

5. Now in the old view, look for "set available funding sources" it will be on the right side of the page

6.  Finally your credit cards with "conversion options" will appear. 

Select option, and save. Close, done. 

Alternatively in the past, I called paypal and they made the change for me over the phone as it was nearly impossible to find. I kept paying paypal fees via ebay when using my phone. 

Login to Me Too

t0ma5

This change is simply INSANE! I hate PayPal and their scammy ways to get as many commissions as possible.

Login to Me Too

hamzahnaan
Contributor
Contributor

hi, i cant seem to be able to navigate through your instutions. could you please give a link to change the currency conversion

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

For personal accounts: 

Go to Profile > Payments > My Preapproved Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options

Business accounts:

Go to Profile and Settings > My Money > My Preapproved Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.