where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

userMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Bro!

I have just called in support. They resolved my personal issue and promised to send $10 on my account for inconvenience.

Login to Me Too

TM2-Megatron
Contributor
Contributor

As we can see in the text Badur77 quoted a few pages back, PayPal is violating its own user agreement with this issue.  In section 8.8, it clearly states that we as customers have the right to have our credit card issuers handle any foreign currency conversions, and that before the end of our transaction we'll be given that option.  Well, their new eBay interface and mobile apps violate that outright by not even giving us the choice.  Paying directly though their website still has the choice there, but it no longer has any effect.

Based on that violation of their own user agreement, I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and suggest everyone else having issues do the same.

Login to Me Too

otousama
Contributor
Contributor

Just talked with the assistance on the phone, in synthesis our converstation was: 

Me: "Hello I'm having issues with the currency conversion, it always defaults to paypal conversion rates and doesn't give me a way to change it"

Support: "it is a well known issue, for the moment it is not possible to select the conversion option on some transactions, our tech division is looking into it"

Me: "So for the moment I should refrain from paying with paypal until it is fixed..."

Support: "...or you could use our currency conversion services"

Me: "No thanks, it is going to cost me an arm and a leg for big transactions. I'll find another way to pay/transfer my money"

As it stands the paypal platform is not advantageous anymore and for transactions involing currency conversion it is better to pick another payment method. It is interesting to notice that they didn't give me an ETA on the fix and also didn't explicitly said that it was their intention to do so.

Be aware people.

Login to Me Too

zeljko81

I noticed that the conversion option is being obscured more and more during this year.paypal-conversion-options.png

It became increasingly difficult to find this option, at some moments impossible.

At this moment, you cannot actually change this option and I find myself in a bad situation because many sellers on ebay accept only Paypal, and I don't want to pay while letting Paypal rip me off with their conversion rates/fees.

When you try to change the conversion option, you get a message "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later."

Paypal should really concentrate on providng better service, to attract new customers and make more money.

I'll probably close my Paypal account and look elsewhere. There are plenty other options that offer the same or better services.

Login to Me Too

Jeremy987
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same error message than you guys on Ebay.

What if I pay directly with a credit card on Ebay without going through my PayPal account?  Is it still going to be converted by Paypal?

If it doesn't work, I am going to take a screenshot and then make a chargeback against Paypal because it is a DCC violation of MasterCard/VISA rules. 

Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

@Jeremy987 wrote:

I get the same error message than you guys on Ebay.

What if I pay directly with a credit card on Ebay without going through my PayPal account?  Is it still going to be converted by Paypal?

If it doesn't work, I am going to take a screenshot and then make a chargeback against Paypal because it is a DCC violation of MasterCard/VISA rules. 

I have tested it. Unfortunately, Paypal rates apply 😞

Login to Me Too

bancherkz
Contributor
Contributor

I have same issue whats going on with PayPal?

Login to Me Too

colourfulbbq
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here,  phoned ebay and was told it;s paypal''s issue....and tehn phone paypal twice, they have no idea where the problem is, said Ebay issue...that's wordless.....losing money on Paypal exchange rate....

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can select who does the currency conversion during checkout.  There should be a link called "View Conversion options" or similar by the exchange rate calculation.  Be sure to clear our your web browser cookies/cache.  PayPal is obviously trying to port over the conversion function to the new checkout flow but it is buggy.  Or try the eBay app to check out and see if the conversion function is working there.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

You can select who does the currency conversion during checkout.  There should be a link called "View Conversion options" or similar by the exchange rate calculation.  Be sure to clear our your web browser cookies/cache.  PayPal is obviously trying to port over the conversion function to the new checkout flow but it is buggy.  Or try the eBay app to check out and see if the conversion function is working there.

Sharpiemarker, you clueless ignorant, stop giving this stupid advice and misleading people.. You are giving this false advice since start of this topic. Would you please shut up? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.