where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

Archie07
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, just call their support by phone. It will be easily fixed by a phone call i 2 mins.

They have to change the native currecy of your card to whatever you say: USD or EUR.

Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

@Archie07 wrote:

Guys, just call their support by phone. It will be easily fixed by a phone call i 2 mins.

They have to change the native currecy of your card to whatever you say: USD or EUR.

I am afraid you have no idea what we are talking about in this topic.

Login to Me Too

ProfessorP
Contributor
Contributor

This is a nightmare.

Suddenly every purchase made via Paypal is 6% more expensive because of their abusive forced conversion rates.

I'm a polyglot and regularly order books from several different countries. Yesterday I tried to buy books from a Hungarian store, and sure enough, Paypal attempted to steal 6% of the order total. I couldn't complete the transaction.

What can be done to correct this?

Login to Me Too

ipoduser
Contributor
Contributor
Not sure about the ebay issue but if paying directly on Paypal then Archie07's solution is the same workaround that worked for me.
Login to Me Too

Yuriz
Contributor
Contributor
How I temporary resolve with eBay (on mobile): 1) before buy click on "Pay with" (Visa-xxxx, sum etc.) 2) click to BLUE font conversion option (in my case 1UAH=0.04USD) 3) change conversion option for this payment
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@ProfessorP wrote:

This is a nightmare.

Suddenly every purchase made via Paypal is 6% more expensive because of their abusive forced conversion rates.

I'm a polyglot and regularly order books from several different countries. Yesterday I tried to buy books from a Hungarian store, and sure enough, Paypal attempted to steal 6% of the order total. I couldn't complete the transaction.

What can be done to correct this?

THERE IS A 2 1/2 % CONVERSION FEE,

Login to Me Too

TM2-Megatron
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any official response from Paypal on this issue?  How much longer is it going to take them to correct it.

I've stopped any and all payments through their service until this is fixed, as it's completely unacceptable.  The Android app has the same issue, as there isn't even an option during the Send Payment process to edit your conversion choices.  On the website, it just appears to accept your choice and nothing actually changes.

If this was intentional, it's criminal and complaints should be filed with the Better Business Bureau along with whatever financial regulatory body (if any) that may have some control over Paypal.

Login to Me Too

gorann
Contributor
Contributor

You all contact PP customer support by email (from the help page),

and you will receive instructions how to solve the problem - as I did (you need to tell them in which currency you want them to charge your card, and it will be done)

Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

@gorann wrote:

You all contact PP customer support by email (from the help page),

and you will receive instructions how to solve the problem - as I did (you need to tell them in which currency you want them to charge your card, and it will be done)

Do you really believe the **bleep** you are telling us works? Please...

Login to Me Too

ss106
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, even if i have from long time ago choosen bank default conversion paypal force me to convert all payments from Euro to GBP and back to euro just to pay something extra.

There is no option to change during the transaction.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.