Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi brokenbarbie,

Welcome to the Community!

As Kernowlass said above, yes, you can request a name change.  You can request a name change if the name on the account doesn't match your legal name, such as when you've married or divorced. 

To make this request, go to Profile > Edit beside your name > select the appropriate option > continue > and just follow the instructions.  You'll be notified via email when the change is complete or if additional information is needed.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

thestud25
New Community Member

Hello, 

My mother set up this paypal account for me when I was 17 because I was not of legal age.  I am now 31 and would like to actually put my name down on the account.  All of the credit and debit card information on the account is mine, and has been mine since I turned 18.  This account is tied to my eBay account that is in my name.  I want to know how to change the name.

Login to Me Too

craftordiy
New Community Member

I am in the exact same situation and would love some answers! I tried to resolve it, chose 'incorrect at sign up' and provided the necessary documents. I got an email today that says, "Unfortunately, we are unable to complete your name change request. The name on a PayPal account cannot be changed to transfer account ownership to another person. We recommend that you close this PayPal account and open a new one using the correct name. "

I am so frustrated! It's not transfering, it's been my info forever, just the wrong name.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hi craftordiy and thestud25!

Welcome to the Community, sorry that you're having such trouble getting your name changed on the account.

Unfortunately what you're trying to do is one of the few things that can't be done; from our point of view you're trying to change the ownership of an account. Even though you've been using it and all of the financial info is yours, technically you're not the owner or record.

The very best solution I have would be to just create a new account in your own name then transfer all of your information over. You could then close the old account or leave it open, you'll just have to add a new email address to the old account. That way if you needed to check out your transaction history or dispute a transaction you'd still have that option.

I hope this helps provide some help, please let us know if there are any questions!

- Andy

Login to Me Too

ShadowCutter
Contributor
Contributor
I've recently submitted my name change (marriage) for my account, and I just checked through safari and the change has been applied, but it has not changed on the mobile app (iPhone), how do I fix that?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hi ShadowCutter -

That's a great question! There are one of two ways I can think of to get this to update.

1) First I'd recommend logging out, rebooting your phone, then logging back into the app. Hopefully this is enough for the app to query your account and pick up that your name has been changed.

2) A more scorched earth version, but try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. When you first log in after it's reinstalled that should force the update to your name.

If neither of those options work I'd recommend reaching out to our customer service as we may need to get our tech people to look into this. But I'm very hopeful that wouldn't be necessary. 🙂

- Andy

Login to Me Too

ShadowCutter
Contributor
Contributor
Ok the reboot didn't help but the reinstall did, thanks!
Login to Me Too

Crickettleber
I have this exact same problem. I am almost 27 so my mothers name has been on my account for a very long time. I am very frustrated by the hassle we have to go through with this. Plus, make an entire new account... and I have to disagree. My mother is NOT the owner. If she was then not only would get finances be linked but so would all of her personal information, address, SOCIAL SECURITY, etc. I do not see how it honestly even works to have not only PayPal but PayPal credit in my mothers name with the wrong personal information, that would appear to be fraud correct? So I'm taking it, anyone could create an account that has someone's personal information and put their names on it? Seems like a huge drawback to me and like some legality issue, playing with fire?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.