money in my account when there isn't?

Lynnk2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have been trying to send a message to Paypal but it keeps saying there was a problem. It is important I get in touch with them and check that a particular e mail was from Paypal.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lynnk2

Its pretty easy to tell if an email is a spoof or not but if you want to check with paypal then send it to spoof@paypal.com

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lynnk2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, I don't know how to check if it's a spoof mail or not. Is it easy to do? If so could you point me in the direction of where I can find out please. thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lynnk2

How does it address you? Does it use your full name?

Does it ask you to click on a link to enter any financial or log in info?

Is it asking you to provide a tracking number before you get funds released?

Is it asking you to send money for a courier etc?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Lynnk2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, it mentions me by name, it says that I have money in my account and to log in to check my balance. It asks for nothing more. So I logged in only to find as I expected that there are no funds as yet in my account. I pondered a while then decided to change my password and tried to message paypal but it was saying there's a problem.

Not sure what other action to take now. Thank you for your advice.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lynnk2

Does it say your FULL name.

Is there a LINK in the email that asks you to log in to enter sensitive log in or financial info.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Lynnk2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does say my full name, there is a typed link plus a blue button below that says log in. 

Login to Me Too

Lynnk2
Contributor
Contributor

I have re checked again and I can see an asterix and it says 'balance correct as of last week'.  If that's the case there was money in the account last week but used it to pay for an order.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.