assign a nickname for bank accounts and credit cards?

PNWgreen
New Community Member

Hello, 

Is there a way to assign a nickname for different bank accounts and credit cards that are linked to the PayPal account?  

I searched help and forum first, but found no answers.  Thanks much for any help or advice.  

Login to Me Too
259 REPLIES 259

romad
Contributor
Contributor

Time to join the 21st Century PayPal. If I can assign a nickname to my three financial institutions, then I should be able to assign nicknames to my 3 accounts on your site - I don't like having a known public name to them as it is done now.

Login to Me Too

djlp
New Community Member

Ridiculous that PayPay doesn't let users put nicknames on their credit cards.  Ain't rocket science, people, so this is clearly just deliberately ignoring an obvious usability feature that's been supported on many other sites for years now - all my banks  let me nickname my accounts on their sites.  

If Paypal wants to expand it's business they need to pay attention to what their users need to have a good experience using the service.  "tc;wu": Too Complicated; Won't use"

Login to Me Too

jchandersson
New Community Member

What everyone else said except we are now half way through 2015!

I used to have two mastercards registered and could barely keep them apart but just registered my third.

Come on paypal!

Login to Me Too

suze79
New Community Member

I too would like this feature.  I have multiple credit cards including one for business.  I also have family members linked to my account so I can purchase on behalf of them.  It can't be a very difficult feature to add if all of my banks can do it.

Login to Me Too

ladygod1va

@PNWgreen wrote:

Hello, 

Is there a way to assign a nickname for different bank accounts and credit cards that are linked to the PayPal account?  

I searched help and forum first, but found no answers.  Thanks much for any help or advice.  

Same here - searched but no answers and this seems to be the most active thread on the topic.  With 4 VISA credit cards, (rewards/cash back for different uses, personal, family, and business cards), I have to look up the last 4 numbers to differentiate!  SURELY there now must be a way to assign a nickname to keep these straight,?!   THANKS to anyone with some advice. ( ... and have left feedback about this.)

Login to Me Too

WebGuru
Contributor
Contributor

I like many of you were frustrated with the lack of account nicknames.  However, I have found a solution.  This was developed by me with the assistnace of Google and a chrome extension called Minimalist for Everything.

You simply install the tool, which has some nice features for GMail by default.  Add a new module for paypal site (@includes field should be "*paypal.com*" (no quotes). And add an option and includ the following in the Head JS.

Now, you will need to modify the lines starting with t.data, but this is simply using a javascript regex replace function.  If you don't understand this, just replace the #### with the last four of your account number and replace <<ACCOUNT NICKNAME>> with your account nickname.  Click Save Changes and you have account nicknames across most of the site.  There are some places where this won't update the nicknames, but let me know where its not updated and I'll adjust the code to work.

function addNicknames() {
d=document;
x=d.evaluate(".//text()[normalize-space(.)!='']",d.body,null,7,null);
for(i=0,l=x.snapshotLength;i<l;i++){
t=x.snapshotItem(i); 
t.data=t.data.replace(/x\-2767/gi,'House Fund (x2767)');
t.data=t.data.replace(/x\-7899/gi,'Checking (x7899)');
t.data=t.data.replace(/x\-2767/gi,'Normal Savings (x2767)');
} 
}

if (window.addEventListener){
window.addEventListener("load", addNicknames, false);
window.addEventListener('DOMSubtreeModified', addNicknames);
}
else if (window.attachEvent){
window.attachEvent("onload", addNicknames);
window.attachEvent('DOMSubtreeModified', addNicknames);
}
else {
window.onload = addNicknames;
window.DOMSubtreeModified = addNicknames;
}
Login to Me Too

svdavismd
New Community Member

It wold be very helpful for us who have multiple cards or accounts to have nicknames so we don't have to memorize the numbers of the credit cards, even if just the last 4 digits.  It is much easier to remember a nickname than to remember a card number.

Login to Me Too

hideawaygirl
New Community Member

Is there any way to add a "nickname" to my credit cards on file with Paypal?

Login to Me Too

Norbie
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same question. I use multiple credit cards.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.