Worried About Verification Process

kreis
Contributor
Contributor
My daughter is living in Norway and just opened a Paypal account there. I sent her a very large amount of money (she needs it be in a Norwegian account so she can enroll in university there). She has to verify her account before she can withdraw the money. How difficult is that? She uploaded what information she has and linked a Norwegian bank account to her PayPal. She doesn't have her bank card yet so that can't be linked until she receives it. 

Normally I wouldn't be worried, but my experience with fixing problems with Paypal has been mixed. What if they don't accept her documentation as evidence? What happens then? How does she get her money, or worst case, how do I get it back so I find other ways of getting it to her? She needs to have it all fixed within two weeks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your experience should have been used to NOT send a large sum of money until your daughter figures out what she can do.

You daughter will need to figure out what is required for the local account and the figure out if there are any international financial controls.  Sending large sums can trigger suspicious activity alerts or alerts relating to money laundering.

In serious cases an account could be limited for up to180 days.

Details matter.

Login to Me Too

kreis
Contributor
Contributor

I realize this now. Obviously. Hindsight is 20/20 and not helpful. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your daughter will need to get her account verified.  She hasn't disclosed the specific issues.

What transactions are in your daughter's account?

What are the details of the transaction in your account?

If the money fails due to an inablitlity of her account to accept funds then the funds will eventually be returned.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@kreis wrote:

I realize this now. Obviously. Hindsight is 20/20 and not helpful. 

thats all we can offer 20/20 hindsight,why would a mother sent large sume of money overseas using a crappy system like Paypal,pathetic customer service in US and do they have a customer servic ein Norway,I bet not. 

INtl bank wire transfer is the proper way to do it,if you do it online,it is either 45-55 dollars with BAC and both you and your daughter will sleep well at night.

Norway is not in the Euro Union?

If it is ,then any paypal member receiving $2500 or more in Euro dollars would have to submit oodles of documents per anti money laudnering and anti terrorism acts.

Your daughter will have to do whatever it takes to have the money available,I believe Paypal European customer service is based in Germany,maybe they have one in UK as well.

Good luck

The best 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.