Switching my default payment method

missdogmom
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to switch the default account from which my payments are taken. After checking for a PayPal account balance, PayPal currently takes the money from my bank account, unless I manually change it to my credit card, which is what I always do. To eliminate these extra steps, I would like to set my credit card to be the default after any PayPal balance. Is there a way to do this?

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

miskomacko
Contributor
Contributor

Neither of those links work.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ashley

Hi @miskomacko

I apologize for the inconvenience. The links provided are to the US Help Center. Here are the instructions for setting a default funding source for purchases:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Wallet.
  3. Click the preferred funding method.
  4. Click Make this preferred when paying online.

And here's how to set a default funding source for preapproved payments:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click the Settings icon next to "Log out."
  3. Click Payments.
  4. Click Manage pre-approved payments.
  5. Click the merchant whose agreement you want to change under "Merchant."
  6. Click Change next to "Backup Funding Source."
  7. Choose the payment method(s) for your pre-approved payment.
  8. Click Save at the bottom of the page. 

Not all countries may have the ability to set a preferred payment method for regular purchases, but all will be able to select preferred methods for preapproved payments. 

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

miskomacko
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the explanation Ashley, at least now I know. But why does PayPal exclude this option for certain countries? Could it be that you withhold the option until national legislation demands it? I guess I'll be contacting my local consumer protection agency...
Login to Me Too

JohnnyCanuck1

" I guess I'll be contacting my local consumer protection agency... "

I think you should. As I said in another post I had already gone through this last year and yet it was changed back to my bank account without my knowledge (until a recurring payment came through). If you check other websites this issue has apparently had a long history of complaints which include options silently being reset and PayPal clearly making it difficult to find the option itself.

Login to Me Too

ginandtonic4114
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found another option, which has worked for me anyway :

I live in Europe, on my Paypal account there is no option for "Make this preferred when paying online".

Also, I cannot remove my bank account at the moment because there is a pending transaction, which can take 10 to 14 days to clear.

I solved the problem by logging into the classic Paypal site (thank you DRLx2):

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-ach&nav=0.6.6

and disabling the direct debit authorisation (you can re-activate it anytime), so that now all Paypal payments default to my credit card...

Login to Me Too

markbotond
Contributor
Contributor

I was happy to see the post but when I clicked the link it ended up with this text:
We're sorry, the page you're looking for is no longer available. Please try your search again in our Help Center if you have a question or want to contact us.

So I am afraid that this issue is the sacred cow... 😞

Login to Me Too

JohnnyCanuck1

I had already gone through this last year and yet it was changed back to my bank account without my knowledge (until a recurring payment came through). If you check other websites this issue has apparently had a long history of complaints which include options silently being reset and making it difficult to find the option itself.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.