Sending/receiving money via pen name?

kayduzzo
Contributor
Contributor

I occasionally want to buy things from people I know online, sell art commissions, etc. But I don't want them to have my real name, because my real identity is too easily searchable.

I use my pen name as an artist when communicating with people online and would prefer to only give that name to people I trust enough to do $10-20 business with but do not completely trust not to dox me at some later point because they disagreed with an opinion on an internet forum or lost a video game or whatever. (In a perfect world we would only ever associate with mature adults and these concerns would be farfetched, but let's be real.)

I know how to add other email addresses and have one with my pen name/online alias, but when people send or receive money from me, they still see my real name, right? (I'd also like to protect my street address if possible.)

I've read that I can legally set up a business with my pen name, but that seems like an awful lot of paperwork and government involvement and probably complicated tax issues just to occasionally buy someone a coffee to say, "Hey, thanks for keeping this site running," or, "Yeah, I'll give you $10 to draw me a picture to add to your 'oops I'm short on rent this month' fund." Plus, is that even legal?? If it's technically legal, is it ethical?? I am hardly a "business," and that seems like a ridiculously legally complicated way to just protect my identity on the internet.

Is there a way to keep that identity protected without legally registering as a business? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

gypsi
New Community Member

Bumping this because I have the exact same question. I run a website and have lots of people wanting to donate money to me to contribute to the costs of running the servers, etc. but I haven't let them do this because my online privacy is very important to me and I cannot have any of my users knowing my real name or any personal information about me for security reasons - I have previously done this and been stalked in real life.

I registered a business name within my country (Australia) but my PayPal account still showed as Business Name (Trading As Real Name) and I don't want that.

Any ideas, anyone? Please 🙂

Login to Me Too

Tardis-Farore
New Community Member

I'd like to know as well I have had stalking problems before and would like to keep my personal info from being displayed like what city I'm in to everyone that wants to send me money or recieve itfrom me.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal doesn't allow fake names.

PayPal doesn't allow members to hide behind secrecy.

Login to Me Too

kayduzzo
Contributor
Contributor

By "hiding behind secrecy" did you mean "responsibly protecting our identities on the internet in a culture of digital oversharing in which our addresses are easily Googlable and people are frequently moved to rage by converse opinions"?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@kayduzzo

I meant very simply a user cannot hide their identity on PayPal--nothing more.

It's not related to how PayPal uses identity or security, just that PayPal   doesn't allow a user to hide the user's identity with a fake name.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.