Selling Bitcoin is Against PayPal Policy

MissouriMiner
Contributor
Contributor

This post is to share info, possibly to help people before they end up in the same situation.

I have been selling Bitcoin for about 5 months with PayPal as the payment processor.  I've been self-employed during this 5 months and have become reliant on Bitcoin-related income.  I've actually been involved with Bitcoin for over 3 years and have saved up quite a few Bitcoin, which I decided to sell when I was laid off.  

Over the 5 months, I've had several disputes which I lost because Bitcoin is not a "tangible item" and not covered under Seller Protection.  I've lost over $2000, which essentially means I had over $2000 stolen from me via fraudulent PayPal charges.  These buyers knew what they were doing and knew they could get away with it. 

On May 10, 2017, I received an email from PayPal stating that the selling of Bitcoin means I was operating as a currency exchange (which includes electronic media/money/currency), which is against the Acceptable Use Policy.  Quote "Per our current Acceptable Use Policy for Money Service Businesses, PayPal may not be used to operate a currency exchange, bureau de change or check cashing business including the sale of bitcoin."

Now I am required to sign an affidavit stating I understand and will comply.  Then they later say they look forward to hearing from me and thanks for choosing PayPal as my business partner.  Well, I just lost my business.

Hope this helps others before they get in too deep. 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

jresnik

EXACTLY SAME thing happened to me AND Paypal also held $ when I loaned on XCOINS.io

How then can it be ok with xcoins.io   they advertise use of bitcoin and Paypal as payment processing

RE:  previous post.

Identical thing happened just 3 days ago

I have sold on a trading platform, Paxful. I am a very legitimate seller with 50+ positive feedback -0 negative. Literally same situation for me!! I totally feel your pain! I have lost over $2,500 in reversed transactions that were completely fraudulent. I am now permanently banned for life! It has temporarily haulted my eBay business which is my income! Very frustrated

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.