Receiving Payment - Non-Business

MacA488
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using PayPal for several years. I primarily use the service to pay for items purchased on-line. On occassion over the years I have received payment for items I have sold. This sales have typically been for values less than $200. Recently, I sold a nice Canon Camera for $900. The buyer sent me the funds through PayPal. When i went to accept the payment, I was notified that I had to be verified before I could accept the funds.

My intentions are to keep the $900 in my Paypal account to use for future purchases. I DO NOT want to provide my bank account information. Am I out of luck?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You are only out of luck if you choose to not verify your account.  It's your choice.

Login to Me Too

MacA488
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply DPCreations! I undestand what you said, but I am still a little confused....

• In the past, I was able to receive money from individuals without being verified. I kept this money in my PayPal account and used it to buy personal goods through eBay and other internet sites.

• As stated above, I received payment for a $900 camera. Now Paypal is telling me I have to be verified to accept the funds.

• I don't want to transfer the funds into my bank account. I just want to use the money like I have done for years through Paypal.

Is this possble anymore without being verified?

If not, when did the rules change?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If PayPal states you need to be verified, then you need to be verified with your bank account being linked.

PayPal continues to implement new security procedures and new verification procedures so what worked in the past now needs to upgraded to new verification requirements.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

see,this time is different,you sold something,you could face chargeback,dispute,returns so Paypal needs to protect itself since it has buyer and seller protection policy.

to verify your bank account ,tells PAYPAL you are who you are,you have a bank account ,you have a physical address etc etc.

you have to comply,we all have to comply . 

Login to Me Too

MacA488
Contributor
Contributor

First, THANKS for taking the time to reply. I hear and understand what you are saying. I don't agree with the reasons, but that is my choice and I accept the ramifications.

For the few times that I ever sell anything, I can find other alternatives to receive the funds without providing my bank account in formation. Maybe not as easy, but at least I save on fees!!

Again, I appreciate your time!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.