Please add a debit or credit card to complete your purchase.

nembsuu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! So, for the last couple purchase attempts paypal has prompted me to add a credit card to my account even tho I have sufficient funds on paypal balance. I've been using paypal since 2012 and never had to add a CC to my account, and I never will. Why promt me to add a CC to account when there´s enough money on balance? Is there a way to around this? If not I'll just move to another service. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

nembsuu
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, fair enough. Then my time here is over. Thanks for the fast replies.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nembsuu

You have been lucky, normally paypal don't allow you to use funds in your paypal account balance without verifying your paypal account first with a debit or credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nembsuu
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass

Does this mean I wont be able to buy with paypal anymore? I've usually used instant top up to transfer funds from my bank acct (not linked either) so that I can pay for my stuff via balance. It's a shame if this is the end of the road with paypal.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

too much fraud in cyberspace,asking a user to add a card means Paypal can charge the card if something went wrong and PAYPAL would like to recover its loss,also card gives you verification

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you dont have card or bank linked to Paypal,thats not making Paypal feel comfortable dealing with you,if you are not willing to link,then find another payment processor

Login to Me Too
Solved

nembsuu
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, fair enough. Then my time here is over. Thanks for the fast replies.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nembsuu

If you were grateful for both our replies it might have been nice to have given us both a kudos or solution rather than just giving it to yourself.  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pinballer

so you have had your Paypal account for years and have not had a credit card or bank account tied to it? That's amazing! Say would you for an item I bought that was say $800 and take my word that I'll pay you? I know you're not my friend or anything but you can trust me, :-
). 

That is basically what you are asking Paypal to do every time you buy something. Do you think you can go into a bank and get a loan without any coladiral or security for the bank? 

Paypal needs a way to snatch that money back from you in the blink of an eye should any thing happen with one of you purchases or sales and without it I am very surprised they have got you yet. 

That's the way it works with them, sorry. 

Login to Me Too

emresumengen
Contributor
Contributor

The difference here is that the customer has already deposited enough funds into Paypal (original post says he's using his Paypal balance, which means actual money that has already been transfered to Paypal). Still, the requirement of Paypal to get my bank/credit card is something to be wary about. If there's not enough balance, than Paypal can simply reject the payment, as it is with all payment processors.

Imagine: Your bank wants you to give them access to some other bank's credit card, when you want to use the one they gave you. This is what it is.

The verification part, I can see the sense. But there are other ways to verify someone, rather than asking for CC information, which is the sole reason Paypal exists: I don't want to share my credit card information online, and I'd rather deposit some cash into a pool and use it there, controllably.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.