Paypal won't downgrade or close my account - what can I do?

Pleasejusthelp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

What started as a small mistake of choosing a business account instead of a personal account has turned into a 3-month waste of time.

I realised my mistake when my account was blocked for not being able to provide business registration documents, because I don't have a business. I initially sent an email under the "Downgrade my account" category and explained my mistake. I received an automatic email promising a 24-hour response. Great! I wait.

Two weeks and 3 more unanswered emails later, I called (I'd been avoiding this as I'm abroad for a few months and they don't accept Skype calls, so it's really expensive). I explain my problem, the nice lady says she'll sort it out. Nothing happens, two weeks later I'm on the phone again, and the nice man says, Ah it's because we need a scan of your ID still. Fine, it doesn't say that on the list of documents pending, but here you go. Don't touch anything for 72 hours! he warns. Ok. Same thing, two weeks, nothing. I call again, the nice guy goes, Ah it's because your proof of address utility bill was 5 months old. It has to be 3 months old. 

It says 6 months on the page in my account that explains why my account is blocked, but whatever, I'll jump through another hoop to get it done. I track down a more recent proof of address utility bill and upload it.

It's been nearly 3 weeks since that last hoop. No answered emails, every phone call is the same dead end. At this point I only want them to close my account and never think about Paypal again, but they "can't do that to a blocked account."

TL;DR: Paypal won't let me downgrade or close my account.

I'm at my wits' end. All I want to do is send some money to my family and pay some bills, and, you know, not waste hours of my life. 

Many thanks to anyone who's read all this and if any help comes of it I will be so, so very grateful.

Thank you,

Colette

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Is there money in your account?

if not much,then just wait.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.