Paypal doesn't recognize my phone number

Neonic-634
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so I'm trying to complete a purchase with paypal. I get a pop up after entering in my email and password saying that it needs a quick check to verify that it's really me making the purchase (already a major pain in the butt considering how I had made a purchase on this same computer not even a month ago). It only gives me two options; text or call.

I can't use either because when I try to enter in my cell phone number (WHICH IS ALREADY VERIFIED AND REGISTERED) I get a message telling me that the phone number I entered isn't registered in my name. Y'know except it is.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I can't delete, re-enter, and verify my number again because it's set as my primary, and I don't have any other numbers to switch it to.

here's a screenshot to emphasize the amount of bull****tery I am currently experiencing.

http://imgur.com/UM2aOic

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is the phone number also registered in another name?

Is the phone number registered to your address the same as your PayPal profile address?

Has the phone number ever been linked to another PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

Neonic-634
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I'm aware, the number is only registered with my account.

Everything on my account is consistent.

No, this is my only paypal account. not only that, but this number is fairly recent so it couldn't have been associated with any previous account that I could have had.

Now that I think about it, I did have a different number when I first made the account, then changed it to the one I have now. But I hadn't even used my paypal account for anything, let alone transactions, until after I had it changed.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could make a phone call to PayPal customer service so they can look at your account details.

Login to Me Too

Fossil-diver
Contributor
Contributor
Except when you click on the call us link it just goes back to the contact us page. No phone number is provided. The number should be clearly posted without having to click a link, unless they didn't want it to work on purpose.
Login to Me Too

Tobstir14
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have spent hour upon hours with same issue
Supervisors and managers and they all give a different answer
One said try in 2 1/2 hrs it will be restored to a regular status
Got an email that confirmed
Tried Nope didn’t work
Another said try after 24 hours nope didn’t work
Another said PREPAID PHONE NUMBERS CAN NEVER BE VERIFIED AS THEY ARE NOT LINKED TO A NAME REGARDLESS
But said try 3-5 business days
Haven’t tried yet but they said it PROBABLY WONT WORK

I’m so frustrated my bank and phone carrier said there are no restrictions

Login to Me Too

Tobstir14
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have spent hour upon hours with same issue
Supervisors and managers and they all give a different answer
One said try in 2 1/2 hrs it will be restored to a regular status
Got an email that confirmed
Tried Nope didn’t work
Another said try after 24 hours nope didn’t work
Another said PREPAID PHONE NUMBERS CAN NEVER BE VERIFIED AS THEY ARE NOT LINKED TO A NAME REGARDLESS
But said try 3-5 business days
Haven’t tried yet but they said it PROBABLY WONT WORK

I’m so frustrated my bank and phone carrier said there are no restrictions

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.