Old Address showing up as the default on order

sonicwind
Contributor
Contributor

When ordering from a site that supports PayPal 
The payment comes up in PayPal with a default shipping address of an old address.
How can I remove this and other old addresses?
Also, when I select my real address, I always check "Use as a preferred shipping address", but this never takes effect. It still comes up with the old address.
I need to remove all old shipping addresses and make "Ruby Red" the default.
This is not an ebay purchase.
These old addresses do not show up anywhere in PayPal settings to be removed. They are cached elsewhere in your PayPal database.

I have contacted PayPal multiple times about this, but the replies are not even about this issue. It's like the question is misunderstood and a canned reply to some other issue is submitted.

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

SherryFLOWER
Contributor
Contributor

I agree 100%.  I hate their new setup.  And managing PAYPAL CREDIT is a nightmare too.  My autopay wouldn't work two times in a row!  Grrrr. I could go on and on.  I'll close the account when I can.

Login to Me Too

RaceyB
Contributor
Contributor

I just had this happen to me as well and I have never shopped on the site until April 6th, 2015. I haven't lived at the address PapPay forwarded to the merchant in almost a year.  I had this exact same issue on a large order last October when using PP checkout from another merchant and it was a nightmare. PP assured me the old address was removed from my account then, and the guy I spoke with 04/06/2015 said he removed it from the back-end system...

My old address never showed up at checkout, but I saw it on the PP email receipt and called immediately.... They were unable to contact merchant, told me to do it, and 10 days later, no response from merchant.

@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you all for coming to the PayPal community! Welcome!

Some merchants use carts that save shipping information separately, to use instead of the primary address on the PayPal account. In situations where you return to the same merchant, that information may be associated with your checkout as a hidden address. Contacting customer support can usually help, as a teammate can clear out any hidden addresses retained by these sites in the PayPal profile. In some cases however, if the merchant site asked you to sign up with them, they may also be retaining the information in a profile that only they have access to, in which case you may have to modify the information on the merchant site.

You can contact customer support by phone or email, or by Facebook PM or Twitter DM.

I hope this helps!

- Olivia

Login to Me Too

LilOleMe
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, Olivia, but this isn't the case. I can see the old addresses -- somewhere, although there are so many where's I forget -- but can nothing at all about deleting them. Some are shipping addresses and never were my home address. I, too, will find an alternative to PayPal for routine transactions. It's just too annoying to not be able to have the correct home address turn up when I place an order with a NEW or old merchant. Sad -- PayPal was once such a great service.

Login to Me Too

macram99
New Community Member

This response is not correct and a poor attempt to pass the buck to the merchant when the fault is squarely in the court of Paypal.  Paypal insteads chooses to blame the merchant rathe than take responsiblity for poor site/record management.  

The issue is on Paypal's end not merchant side.  Paypal continuosly brings up an old shipping address for a house I no longer own on brand new sites never before used by me.  So there is no way that the merchant has my address 'hidden' in any file as they have never seen me before.

Login to Me Too

Elvis58
Contributor
Contributor

You are 110% CORRECT  !!

I have contacted Sears, Target, Tangs, LOL Shirts & others ...

THEY DO NOT KEEP HIDDEN ADDRESSES !!

Only PAY PAL is doing this!!  NOT the Merchant!!

PayPal CREW passes B.S. to members blaming the Merchant ..

It's PayPal's, Fumbling, Bumbling record keeping system.......

PayPal should Hire a few ENGLISH speaking Tech people .............

Login to Me Too

RaceyB
Contributor
Contributor

I'm surprised PP hasn't closed this thread yet.... Most others on the same topic get closed as solved.... the problem surely isn';t solved. Because of this bug in thyeir system, I had to wait nearly a month to receive a PP merchant order...

Login to Me Too

randybias
New Community Member

+1.  This is a paypal problem.  It happens on sites that I've never been to before with Paypal.  I'm about to move again and the default address will be 2 addresses prior.

Truly disappointing such a trivial issue has not been addressed by Paypal.

Login to Me Too

ccrasch
New Community Member

Yep, still not resolved.  Emailed Help center asking how to change my shipping address.  Got an email back on how to switch my address to my "HOME" address.  Guess what? There is no option to make an address my "HOME" address, just my PRIMARY which it ALREADY is!  I'm tired of lost shipments.  This is getting frustrating. Get it together Paypal. Hire someone who can code this **bleep** in correctly on your website.  It's not that hard and you certainly make enough money for a service that is exclusively online.  

Login to Me Too

jre72
New Community Member

This happens to me all the time as well and I move almost 2 years ago. Annoying! Also, it happens with merchants I have never done business with so there's no way they have somehow retained my old address. I can see my old address listed on PP (along with my current address about 20 times) but there's no option to remove it. I have to be very careful when placing orders that pay via PP and check the address before committing to the purchase.

Login to Me Too

LilOleMe
Contributor
Contributor

I have had it with this and have written an actual hard copy letter to the CEO and enclosed this thread. We'll see if this has any effect. Olivia: you might want to get this issue addressed before you hear from Shulman.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.