Old Address showing up as the default on order

sonicwind
Contributor
Contributor

When ordering from a site that supports PayPal 
The payment comes up in PayPal with a default shipping address of an old address.
How can I remove this and other old addresses?
Also, when I select my real address, I always check "Use as a preferred shipping address", but this never takes effect. It still comes up with the old address.
I need to remove all old shipping addresses and make "Ruby Red" the default.
This is not an ebay purchase.
These old addresses do not show up anywhere in PayPal settings to be removed. They are cached elsewhere in your PayPal database.

I have contacted PayPal multiple times about this, but the replies are not even about this issue. It's like the question is misunderstood and a canned reply to some other issue is submitted.

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Phone customer services and ask they remove them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

philo171
New Community Member

Same thing here, post how you make out.

Login to Me Too

sonicwind
Contributor
Contributor

It's the strangest thing. I'm going to call them, like someone else mentioned, eventually. For now I just avoid using PayPal any more.

Login to Me Too

jscofy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.  I moved over a year ago and yet my old adress is still being used as the default shipping address.  I cant find my old address anywhere on their site so it must be cached somewhere.  I'm thinking of cancelling my account if this continues.  So far I have a canned email response from paypal which does not address the correct issue.

Login to Me Too

johnsontaylor
Contributor
Contributor

I went through this, you have to contact them via phone.

It is truly a huge incovenience.  Every other online transaction site would intuitively let you manage these yourself...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi all,

Thank you all for coming to the PayPal community! Welcome!

Some merchants use carts that save shipping information separately, to use instead of the primary address on the PayPal account. In situations where you return to the same merchant, that information may be associated with your checkout as a hidden address. Contacting customer support can usually help, as a teammate can clear out any hidden addresses retained by these sites in the PayPal profile. In some cases however, if the merchant site asked you to sign up with them, they may also be retaining the information in a profile that only they have access to, in which case you may have to modify the information on the merchant site.

You can contact customer support by phone or email, or by Facebook PM or Twitter DM.

I hope this helps!

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

sonicwind
Contributor
Contributor

"Contacting customer support can usually help, as a teammate can clear out any hidden addresses retained by these sites in the PayPal profile."

What would really help would be if PayPal gave customers direct access to see and clear out this information stored on their account without having to contact customer support. Also, there is a checkbox when this situation occurs and I take the steps to change the address to the correct to make the newly selected address the default. If checking this would actually take effect instead of apparently having no effect that would actually solve my problem. Default address is default address. Shouldn't matter what a merchant's saved settings are if PayPal is presenting a feature being a selection of default. BTW, this happens when I go to merchants for the first time. So at least some of the time, it is coming from some mechanism of PayPal's.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

pixel_toys
Contributor
Contributor

I really don't understand, managing our own account settings like shipping addresses, automatic transfers, etc were once an option for our user. Why on earth did PayPal change that by removing all these options from us? I like to use PayPal because of its convience, but not any more. Now we have no control over our own accout settings, we are confused with the new layout which hides all the account setting management tools from our faces. One of the main reasons so many people like to do things online is because they don't need to deal with all those calling to the customer supports, and not every one has the time to be put on hold for 20+ minutes.

I am so disappointed at the direction PayPal is heading, it does not care about its user, it's all about money money and money. If this is not the only form of payment eBay accepts, I would have close my account with PayPal since the launch of the new website.

Login to Me Too

christwr
New Community Member

This is quite annoying that every time I buy stuff and choose PayPal as the payment option it takes me to a screen with some old address of mine that I don't even see listed on my account anymore, and I specifically have to recognize and change it at checkout, or else my product ships to my old house.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.