Locked Out of Account While Studying Abroad

wangcynthia
New Community Member

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to deal with this situation:

I'm an American, but am also studying in France at the moment. I was locked out of my accounts, and while I verified my identity by sending Paypal a photo of my driver's license, they tell me that I need to change my password.

To do so, they want me to verify my identity twice.

I chose email the first, but the second was either recieve a text or get an automated call.

I have a French number now, and my American number is usable in France, so I can't even log in to my account to email Paypal for help.

Does anyone have any idea what to do at this point?

Much thanks,

Cynthia

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wangcynthia

Paypal is country specific so if you move country you have to open another paypal account in that country and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

The only exception is U.S users can add their bank accounts to other countries paypal accounts.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

wangcynthia
New Community Member

If I have to open a new Paypal account, is there any way possible to transfer the money from my old account into the new one?

I had all my freelance salary go into my old account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wangcynthia

Not unless you can verify your old account.

Only customer services can help you with that one as this is only a user to user help forum.

You could try >>

contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Not when you are locked out if you can't confirm your identity.

Omg, this something I dread.  That's why I don't confirm mobile number.  Then again I don't have a real mobile line so that problem solves itself.  Do you have the device with you that you used in the States to log on the US account?  I want to say check if you can log on through that but I think your hands are tied until you get back to the States.  Or calling PayPal customer services and tell them you are going to school abroad and would like to use your account abroad.

My partner is in currently in Germany working and sometime ago, he tried to log in to his US business account from his PC laptop where he logs on his German account and they asked him to change the US password but he couldn't do it unless he added a new email address to the account which he did and got through. But that was the extent of it, thankfully.  He usually logs on via his Mac that he brought over there from the US.  I had to tell him to only log on US account with Mac device, he could've gotten us locked out of account or something and I can't log on to make PayPal buttons for his website which he told me to do yesterday for an item.  Kind of wary logging in now. lol

There is also a security setting in your profile settings where you let PayPal know of you travel plans so you don't run into this issue.

Here is a helpful blog about using PP abroad and in general:

http://www.thelongestwayhome.com/blog/how-to-live-overseas/how-to-deal-with-paypal-when-you-travel/

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

can you ask someone in the states to log into your PAYPAL ACCOUNT?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.