How to personalize the Avatar

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Is there a way to use a picture from my own picture files for the Avatar here on my ID?  I tried changing it but the only choices are the ones PayPal supplies, could not find a link to ccess my files.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Obviously, those old instructions are no longer valid.

It took me a long time to get it work.  I have not idea what changed.  I tried so many times and there was no option to select an image to upload.  Then, several weeks ago and, like magic, there was an option to select a local image.

I just checked again and, sadly, the option isn't there anymore--just the community option.  I tried chrome and Firefox on Win XP and Win 10--2 separate computers.  I think it changed when they recently changed the entire community interface.

I posted this issue a couple months ago and no one offered a solution.

The avatar used to be rectangle and I designed my avatar/logo for that.  Changing to a circle doesn't work so well.

Hopefully, someone else gives current details on where to find the upload option.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I cannot find the link to My Profile so can not use the instructions I found on PayPal as follows:

Don't forget to upload your Avatar!

To upload your picture:

1. Log in to the community
  2. Click on "My Profile"
  3. On the right side click on “View Image Gallery”
  4. Click on “Browse”
  5. Select your picture
  6. After it’s uploaded
  7. Click on “Preferences”
  8. Click on "Avatars"
  9. Click on "Use gallery images"
  10. Click on your picture

The image has to be smaller than 333K -  Inappropriate images will be removed.

In the "My Settings" information box you can:

Login to Me Too
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Obviously, those old instructions are no longer valid.

It took me a long time to get it work.  I have not idea what changed.  I tried so many times and there was no option to select an image to upload.  Then, several weeks ago and, like magic, there was an option to select a local image.

I just checked again and, sadly, the option isn't there anymore--just the community option.  I tried chrome and Firefox on Win XP and Win 10--2 separate computers.  I think it changed when they recently changed the entire community interface.

I posted this issue a couple months ago and no one offered a solution.

The avatar used to be rectangle and I designed my avatar/logo for that.  Changing to a circle doesn't work so well.

Hopefully, someone else gives current details on where to find the upload option.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@DPCreations  Thanks again DP.  Interesting.  I did find the Profile link but when I go there the only choices are the Community ones as you pointed out.  The choice they mention "over on the right" to Browse for images does not exist.  Now, would you like to hear something interesting?  Your explanation of the shape rectangular to round is extremely ironic.  eBay recently rolled out some of their Community updates and the Avatar shapes changed to round also.  Both eBay and PayPal Communities are sponsored by Lithium (lower right hand corner of the page) AND much of the formatting  is similar.  So I suspect that the issue lies with Lithium's program format.  Oddly, I have a dead link on eBay's Community to change my Avatar there too.

Now, does PayPal have any kind of a regular session with direct PayPal employees to post concerns and issues?  eBay has a Weekly Chat every Wed at 4 PM EST.  Members can post questions, concerns, tech issues, etc. and the eBay Team responds.  This Avatar issue here would be a common type topic for them to address.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the insight.  I know PayPal used Lithium but I had no idea about an eBay forum.  I think your correct about the "coincidences" of the changes for the two forums.

I've never seen anything here where PayPal employees get actively involved in hosting information sessions.  Once in a great while a PayPal Admin will make a comment about a post, but nothing about issues.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@DPCreations  So there is no way to contact PayPal Admin about this Community?  I am sure I could probably call and ask but asking here first makes sense.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Never saw an option to contact Admin.  I never tried a message to PayPal support either.  It's probably worth a try, though to fill in the email form and wait for an automated response; at that point I generally get more emphatic and replay to the email asking for real person to look at at and then I re-state the original problem.  It does work for some problems.  I never tried it for a forum technical issues.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@DPCreations  Well, based on your background here I suspect that if you don't know of an Admin contact method then it is not here.  I'll give them a call in the not too distant future.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.