How to delete old addresses

bally1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have had a good bit of time spent on this today, and with alot of input from paypal (to no avail) I have sorted it for myself.

If you have loads of old addresses that are now redundant, this is how you get rid of them (its probably a bit long winded, but it is the ONLY way I have found to do it, not even 3 service representatives could do it.....). I will take you through baby steps (stick with me), its a bit odd, but it works.

1. When you have logged into paypal, click on the gear cog (near the log out button)

2. Your name then appears in big letters on the middle-ish of the page

3. Next to my name, it says "edit"

4. Click edit.

5. It will ask you if you want to change your name, click cancel

6. It will then take you to a more in-depth "My Profile" page

7. Third option down will be, "address" (Name, email, address). You can then see all your previous address and remove as necessary.

8. Ta-dah! It should now be only the addresses you wish to keep

I know its convoluted, but it worked for me. Good luck!!

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

Raylene77
New Community Member

I too haven't been able to delete old addresses. I talked to a service representative yesterday and told her which addresses were to be deleted. When I used my Paypal account to buy something this morning, lo and behold, all my addresses were gone.

I asked the rep why I couldn't delete addresses myself and she said it was "easier" if they did it. Seems like a lot of grief to go through for what should be a simple task.

Login to Me Too

Barbmomof2
New Community Member

Thanks.  Finally away to delete addresses   We are a military family who move around and have family all over.  So I had tons of addresses I wanted to delete.  This worked for me.  I just did the name change and hit cancel took me to the appropriate page.

Again, Thank you.  My life will be a lot easier because of your post

Login to Me Too

databyte

To add more information on what you're seeing. Here's the response I had from support. The only way to remove the extra shipping addresses is by contacting support:

---

I was able to update your information and removed the gift addresses that were stored in your PayPal account. Gift addresses are being stored automatically by the system if in any case you encounter a problem with your previous transactions. But no worries, I was able to resolve your issue and it is effective immediately.

Login to Me Too

Jeffey
Contributor
Contributor

I know! This is absolutly NUTS!! I was told "I can remove all of you old guest addresses". ADDRESSES!!! What?? 20 minutes to do what I should be able to do on my own in a minute or two!

Login to Me Too

matthewn5
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't work for me. I got through to the 'hidden' account page, but there's only my home address.

When I go to checkout, all the random old addresses - including one in a country I've never lived in - are still there.

Really this is absolutely basic security, it is appalling that you can't access this list or edit it.

Login to Me Too

cathcam
New Community Member

Yep same here.

I don't get the magic profile page. I went back through the express checkout with paypal through a merchant, a window opens and it includes an old shipping address. I can click on change, four addresses are displayed and I can click on one, or choose add or delete. I chose delete.

Having deleted all the addresses, I cancelled out of the order, logged off and then went back through the process.... this time a old address was presented as the default option, I click change and ONLY the correct address is there...

So the old address is still presented as default, sadly on Monday I used it by accident and I now have a package being shipped by FedEx to an address where I don't live, and cannot change it as its out on the truck for delivery.

PayPal "support" aka customer service were totally useless, continuing to tell me it was my mistake since they had the correct addess on file. I'll report via the resolution center but am pretty unhappy with this turn of events, even though the original mistake was mine. I have screen copies of the problem but can't see a way to attach them to this post. Anyone?

Login to Me Too

djcaseanova
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, while you can remove these old addresses from your profile, you can NOT remove the hidden ones. Be cautious when purchasing after changing your address. You may find that the old addresses still default in Paypal shopping carts and you physically have to select your new address from the cart. This is REGARDLESS of whether or not it is the only address you have in your profile...

I just discovered this!! Now have to contact customer service to see if they can remove these addresses from my account.

Login to Me Too

smirge
New Community Member

This didn't work.  All I see is my main default address.  But when I try to use paypal at a merchant a dozen old addresses pop up.  Even though I then correct the address during the order process, the merchant still receives one of the old addresses.  I then have to call the merchant to update my shipping address.  This is ridiculous.  So I called paypal to find out how all these hidden addresses can be deleted.  I've verified my identity 3 times and have been on hold 3 times.  The total time for the call is 41 minutes and counting.  The paypal guy on the line says he has to manually delete each old address.  Not sure why it takes a half hour to click delete 10 times.  Paypal has been great for the last 10 years for me, but this is so very disappointing.  Wish me luck.

Login to Me Too

T3RBO
New Community Member

Followed the given instructions today and this worked for me perfectly... Was able to delete 15 out of the 16 addresses Paypal held in secret.  Many thanks to OP

Login to Me Too

vd2kilcm
New Community Member

When I follow these instructions, I get my name in largish letters on the left side of the page, with an "Update" button next to it. When I click on the update button, I get this message...Name Change-We are unable to change the name on a paypal account to a different person's name. Blah, blah, yada yada. When I click cancel, it takes me back to the main settings page, which also shows an area where the address can be changed. It is currently showing only my current correct address, but when I try to place an order with my debit card, my old address appears as the billing address. This has happened the last two orders I tried to make online via debit card.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.