How to change Primary email adrdess

Dnusha
New Community Member

Hello alll,

I have changed my email address and need to edit my old one.   I tried and paypal does not allow me to do so.  How can I edit it to apply my new email address?

Login to Me Too
107 REPLIES 107

Nitebass9n
Contributor
Contributor

I've been trying to add an email to no avail. It says to enter it and says I can't. No one will answer the phone at paypal. And the others on this forum get rude if you question their advice. What a bunch of crap.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Nitebass9n

You can have 8 email addresses linked to your PayPal account. Have you exceeded that limit?

Is your PayPal account a U.S. PayPal account?

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

Environmental
New Community Member

Oh dear I haven't got the pencil icon. I went to update and having managed to add a second address in the hope of replacing the primary one (which is now defunct)  I find I still can't 'edit' it and remain struck. I'm on Windows 10. There flatly appears to be no way to change the primary address as they have presumably removed the pencil icon - maybe its a browser issue? Thanks for any thoughts...

Tony the Environmentalist

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Environmental

If you don't see the pencil (edit) icon, try using the classic site version...

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Wallet" at the top of the page.
  3. Click "Classic Site" at the bottom of the page.
  4. Click "Update" in the "Email" section.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

gb12
New Community Member

Hi Sandy

Like others who have tried to change their primary email address, I have spent the last 40 mins reading through the suggested solutions to no avail.  That is, until I read yours and hey presto, it worked!

Many thanks.

Gill

Login to Me Too

Adele3
New Community Member

Brilliant, thanks ever so much.

its been driving me mad.

Login to Me Too

GeorgiAZ
New Community Member

After getting help here I was finally able to add a second email address, but still can't update it and make it my primary. The old email address will be invalid shortly. I do not see the Wallet option at the top of my home screen, so can't use your solution. Any ideas? I did confirm my second email address, so I know it's not that. This is really a silly way to run this process. PayPal needs to address it!

Login to Me Too

MartinGuitar
New Community Member

Was having the same problem and nothing showed up..........UNTIL I responded to Paypal's email confirmation of the new email address. Once I clicked on the link in the email and confirmed it, then I could edit the new email and simply check the "make primary" button.

Until then there was nothing showing that would indicated where to change it.

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

Trev_L

I too had these initial frustrations.

In the end i did the following:- 

User enters old user Id and password on Paypal system - note -old User_ID is the old email address

User adds a new email address - note -this will become the new User_ID. 

Paypal system sends a confirmation email using the new email address  to the users email system

User accesses email system 

User clicks on confirmation email for new email address

Paypal system updates user account with new  valid email address - note - this also validates the new User_ID. 

User signs back onto Paypal using new user ID (new email address) and old password (you do not have to change password)

User edits new email address to make the prime email address. 

User and system in harmony

Login to Me Too

FlyingFish73
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem @Cheekygirl. I've tried to do as instructed by PayPal customers service and others on this forum but it just does not work at all. I keep getting the same error message that says my primary email address cannot be changed or edited.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.