How to change Primary email adrdess

Dnusha
New Community Member

Hello alll,

I have changed my email address and need to edit my old one.   I tried and paypal does not allow me to do so.  How can I edit it to apply my new email address?

Login to Me Too
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

layla_2225
New Community Member

I was having the same problem not being able to change my email address. 

Here is what I ended up doing:

Click on the + sign in the upper right hand corner of the box. This will let you add another email address.

When you get back to the original screen the original email will still say it is the primary but the new emaill address should have the option to make it the primary.

Hope this helped! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Cheekygirl  @rbridge3 @Dnusha

As Layla has already posted, click on the "+" symbol in the email address box to add a new email address. After the new email address is confirmed, click on the "pencil" icon to edit your newly confirmed email address. This will open a new page where you can click on the "make primary" box and then click on the blue "Change" button.

If you wish to delete the old email address, click on the "trash can" icon next to that email address. Suggestion... it's best to not delete an old email address from your PayPal account until you're absolutely positive that it's no longer being used for any service, such as accepting payments for eBay sales.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too
Solved

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

To update an email address, you must have at least two email addresses on file.

Login to your account.

* Click on the Gear icon.
* Click on the "+" in the Email box.
* Enter your new email address.
* Click "Add Email"

* You will need to confirm the new email - once you've done that, you can make it the Primary and delete the old email.

Login to Me Too
107 REPLIES 107

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dnusha

You may add up to eight email addresses to your PayPal account. Remember that each email address can only be associated to one PayPal account at a time.

Here’s how to add an email address:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click the Profile icon next to "Log out."
  3. Click Update next to Email.

If you want to change your current email address, simply add a new address and remove your old one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rbridge3
Contributor
Contributor

The advice given by 'kernowlass' (Volunteer advisor) doesn't work at all. There is no place shown at all for adding a new emai (as indicated by kernowlass), let alone cancelling the existing primary after apparently adding a new one. The only thing shown is "edit" and on selecting 'edit', you are told that you cannot edit your primary email address. This is ridiculous. Why not?

rbridge3

Login to Me Too

rbridge3
Contributor
Contributor

And furthermore, why have I been given an avatar that looks like a howling, unhappy ghost?  I certainly didn't put that up!!

rbridge3

Login to Me Too

Sasha1212
New Community Member
I got Russian onion spires! You can change them!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rbridge3

Well it does work as i did just that a month ago.

I suggest you go back to the place that i told you about and re-look.

I won't clarify anymore as you don't seem to appreciate any advice from me.

Suffice to say my advice was correct but sites of things change dependent on what country you are in AND whether you have a personal or business account so it has to be generalised.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cheekygirl

I am sorry what works for you definitely does not work for me either! I have the same problem I can't delete the primary email or change the new email to primary email I put the tick In the box that says make this my primary email and the system  will not let me past this point. I have been trying for hours.

@kernowlass wrote:

@rbridge3

Well it does work as i did just that a month ago.

I suggest you go back to the place that i told you about and re-look.

I won't clarify anymore as you don't seem to appreciate any advice from me.

Suffice to say my advice was correct but sites of things change dependent on what country you are in AND whether you have a personal or business account so it has to be generalised.

Your advice is the same as PayPal gives us, no disrespect to you, but I am no novice but there is defiantly a problem here and we need an answer to this problem. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

layla_2225
New Community Member

I was having the same problem not being able to change my email address. 

Here is what I ended up doing:

Click on the + sign in the upper right hand corner of the box. This will let you add another email address.

When you get back to the original screen the original email will still say it is the primary but the new emaill address should have the option to make it the primary.

Hope this helped! 

Login to Me Too

hawaiilovesart
New Community Member

thanks yer solution workd. it is not obvious and the help doesnt help lol

Login to Me Too

kellgarv
New Community Member

This works perfectly. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.