How to ADD funds to Paypal account without requiring SSN?

john93939393
Contributor
Contributor

So i've had this paypal account for a while, i don't use it often but when i do, i mainly use it to do some transfer to buy stuff from ebay.  

Back then (maybe some years ago, i don't remember exactly how many), i used to be able to add funds to my paypal account using my bank account with no problem.  However, no i tried adding some funds to my paypal balance because i need to send the money as a gift to a friend,  I was prompted with a screen requiring my SSN.  

Why is this?  When did this change come?  I just wanna to be able to add some funds and send some money, my account is already verified, i've already added my credit cardsa nd bank accounts long ago, why do i need to add my SSN just to add some funds?  IF there any way to add funds with putting my SSN?  i'm not comfortable providing paypal my SSN at all!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The SSN is required for tax (if your met the the thresholds per year: 200 sales trans/20k$ Gross) and indentity purposes ever since 2013-2014.  Enter it and you should be able to send your money.  If not close your account if you do not agree with providing information.  PayPal is a financial instrument that is starting to get more and more regulated.  They have to comply with KYC and AML (Google it) laws.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

john93939393
Contributor
Contributor

I don't even have 5 ebay sales a year...let alone 200.  I i don't even make $100 from ebay sales.  I mainly use my paypal account to buy and send money, so why is my SSN required then just to add funds?  I've never had this happen before.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you do now,they want to know who are you,SS is a unique number.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Even if you don't reach those thresholds or don't put much activity on your account, they still want the SSN for verifying identity purposes to ensure your account is real so you can say all the excuses and that it never happen to you before, all day long, but policies change.  Regulations get enacted.  If you do not believe us, go into PayPal FAQs in the Help Center and read up.  If you do not want an online footprint of your SSN, close your account. Problem solved.  You can send money via Popmoney through your bank.  

If I sound a bit impatient that is because it is unavoidable and people always respond with, "but...." and we have to keep explaining the same shxt over and over.  lol This is the new thing now if you are going to use online money transmitters.  Enter your SSN to conduct your transaction or close account and send a check or money order.  Take your pick.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Bobsusername
New Community Member

I have looked through the help area. I have searched for "FAQ", then I searched for "SSN". If there is a FAQ that pertains to these questions and concerns. I could not find it using these steps. Could you help me find this mythical FAQ? I have already called Paypal and am trying to kill some time while I wait for them to call me back. (if they actually will.)

Any help is appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.