How does one link a green dot bank account

Jpritts81
Contributor
Contributor

After entering routing number and account number in proper areas and submit all I get is a no try again later and I have tried later like days later- is linking these two a possibility?? If it is  can someone PLEASE  direct me on how to do so- haven't had much help from Green Dot nor PayPal

Thanks

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jpritts81

just tell me how to set it up with no bull- 

A polite question "may" get you some help.

Bye

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jpritts81
Contributor
Contributor

My appologies- Super frustrated with the customer service of these companies- 

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Jpritts81

Perhaps PayPal is no longer accepting GreenDot routing numbers. Here are a few posts I found regarding the use of Green Dot with your PayPal account...

Re: Transfer money to greendot account?

01-27-2011 07:00 PM PayPal_Adrian wrote:
Hello again!

At this time, withdrawals out to GreenDot - or any debit or credit card - are not available for our members. To see a full list of your options for sending, receiving, and withdrawing money, see www.paypal.com/worldwide.

Thanks!

Adrian

02-26-2011 05:30 PM simpilot7 wrote:
Hello,

I have been using GreenDot for a couple of years, and I have no problem transferring money to the account. You must use the "Direct Deposit" option to do so (check the Green Dot website after you log in.) You need to verify the account with Paypal, as Green Dot will provide you with a Routing and Account number. Once you set it up (about 3 days) you may then transfer to your card (which is actually a bank that is associated with the card.)

02-28-2011 01:01 PM PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Hello everyone,
Only traditional banking institutions - such as a bank account or a credit union - should be added using the "Add a Bank" feature. Pre-paid cards that double as a bank account can cause other problems on an account, including their removal, account limitations, or withdrawal errors. As such, we recommend using only traditional banking institutions with this feature.

Thank you!

Adrian

http://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Student-Accounts-Archive/Transfer-money-to-greendot-account/td-p/...

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sandypurins

Those posts were back in 2011 and i believe you can use it as i found this >>

Add money to PayPal

PayPal CASH powered by Green Dot @ the Register is a quick way to add cash to your PayPal account. Fees and limits apply.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

kernowlass wrote:

@sandypurins

Those posts were back in 2011 and i believe you can use it as i found this >>

Add money to PayPal

PayPal CASH powered by Green Dot @ the Register is a quick way to add cash to your PayPal account. Fees and limits apply.

Hi @kernowlass

It's my understanding that GreenDot can be used to add money to a US PayPal account, but I believe the OP is wanting to withdraw money from his PayPal account.  He's trying to add GreenDot as a bank account (routing number plus account number) so that he can withdraw his PayPal balance to his GreenDot debit card.

US PayPal accounts cannot withdraw money to a credit card or a debit card.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

alzondahero
Contributor
Contributor

@sandypurins and @kernowlass

Hi!

sandy is right. before, paypal allows greendot bank cards to be used to withdrawals when linked to a paypal account. but now, since the greendot bank card is considered as a VIRTUAL bank. they no longer accept it. something to do with account security. only thru a bank account or thru Paypal's Prepaid Mastercard can you withdraw money to. but they are still subject to some guidelines and restrictions.

Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Jpritts81

Have you checked into getting a PayPal Prepaid Mastercard? It can be used to withdraw money from your PayPal account.

"Money transfers may only be made in the name of a valid PayPal Prepaid Cardholder and your PayPal Prepaid Card must be activated and linked with your PayPal Account at www.paypal.com. Only one (1) PayPal Prepaid Card may be linked to one (1) PayPal Account. If a member of your household has another PayPal Prepaid Account, another PayPal Account in that person's name is needed. Transfers from the PayPal Account to the PayPal Prepaid Card Account are limited to the amount of funds available in your PayPal Account and may not exceed $300 a day/$2,000 per rolling 30 days. Overdrafts are not available. Money cannot be moved directly from individual funding sources like credit or debit cards, bank accounts, etc., attached to the PayPal Account to the PayPal Prepaid Card Account. Transfers from the PayPal Account to the PayPal Prepaid Card Account cannot be reversed or canceled. The Bancorp Bank and MasterCard are not affiliated with, and neither endorse nor sponsor the PayPal.com online account to which various funding sources, including a PayPal Prepaid Card, may be linked."

More information and more fine print is here...

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

mmni99inc
New Community Member

The only banking account I have is my green dot walmart card and it wouldn't let me add it 

But then I looked up to see who green dot is owned by and or affiliated with 

As it turns out, if you click on citibank instead of "I have a different bank", it seems to be fine with it then (I used the same routing and account number I had been trying to add for weeks) 

Login to Me Too

Redbeard89
New Community Member
And this worked? For instance if i had an online shop and needed a way to tranfer funds i could use my paypal? Just say the bank is citibank?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.