How can I activate a Verisign VIP securtiy token?

geekartiste
New Community Member

The user account settings page(s) indicate that you can activate a Verisign VIP securtiy token. But every link that is supposed to take you to the activation page ends up at registering your phone to receive an SMS message—not what I want.

Has anyone a link that will take me to the VeriSign VIP activation page?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

gk3
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.  I have also noticed that I'm sent to that same "Activate your mobile phone" page when I click on the link that is supposed to let me order a PayPal security token.  It seems kinda like they used to offer the service that used the tokens, but switched to the SMS system and didn't update all of the pages that mention the old token-based system?  I don't know.  

I would really like to use my VeriSign fob with PayPal, but I cannot find out how it is done.  It is supposed to work!

Login to Me Too

forumuser1234
New Community Member

On the page where it tries to have you register your mobile phone, simply click on "Cancel" at the bottom of the form and it will take you to a page that will allow you to register your existing physical paypal security key or a Verisign security key.

Login to Me Too

BFSEsq

@forumuser1234 wrote:

On the page where it tries to have you register your mobile phone, simply click on "Cancel" at the bottom of the form and it will take you to a page that will allow you to register your existing physical paypal security key or a Verisign security key.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have been searching for this forever. They truly hide the security token registration. It's like they want you to use SMS only. 

To clarify, the only way you can use an app for 2FA is to use the Symantec VIP Access app. (I had to get that despite the fact that all of my other authorization codes are generated by Authy.) Then you can register VIP Access using the process for registering a "Verisign security key." When it asks for a serial #, use the credential ID #. 

Login to Me Too

ObiWanKenobi
Contributor
Contributor
There is no "cancel" button at the bottom of the page, only X at the top, and that brings me back to the previous page 😞
Login to Me Too

DaddyRat
New Community Member

THANK YOU!! That solved the problem.  How can we let PayPal know about this?  I just spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with a rep who had no idea that you have to press the CANCEL button to get here.  Not very intiutive, but it would be great if the PP support folks added it to their script books.

Login to Me Too

stopfiddling
Contributor
Contributor

You can't use it any more. They've recently downgraded users to SMS only - which NIST has phased out because it's not secure at all. They consciously, deliberately made us all less safe so they can save money and because they refuse to update their crumbling architecture.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.