Hardship wilh providing proper photo ID, SSN, and proof of address- Please Help.

kapak44
New Community Member

I am posting this message because I have emailed Paypal twice about my problem for two days and have only received generic and meaningless responses that clearly indicate that they do not understand about my problem or what I am asking.

Two days ago, I was unable to add funds to my Paypal account because my tax ID number was not accepted after attempts to add it twice. Instead of letting me add my Social Security number to confirm the necessary information, my account has been locked and set to limited status and now requires a photo ID, proof of mailing, and proof of my Social Security Number.

This is an extreme hardship for me to provide (and EXACTLY the hassle that I was hoping not to encounter when I reluctantly created an account here),  as Paypal wants the photo ID to display my name and my address. I am a graduate student living in Berkeley, and as such, do not have a photo ID that lists my name and my current (and temporary address) in Berkeley. The only photo ID I currently have (my driver's license) lists my address in San Jose. I also do not have any utility bills in my name for my Berkeley address, although I have a transcript request that is within the past 6 months. Finally, my social security card is in San Jose, and transportation from Berkeley to San Jose is rather expensive and time-consuming in my case.

Another problem is that the bank account that my account was linked to has my Berkeley address on file, so I cannot simply change my Paypal address to my San Jose address, as the addresses would not match according to their requirements.

My questions that I need an answer from a moderator to resolve this problem are:

1. Can I use my driver's license that lists my San Jose address as proof of photo ID?

2. Can I use my transcript letter as a proof of address?

3. Can I use a Bank of America document that lists my social security number as proof of verification?

If any of these questions are a no, is there a way for someone to lift my restrictions so that I can have a chance of entering in my Social Security number to fulfill the original information requirements? If not, I will have no choice but to close my Paypal account and report my rather dissatisfying experience in Facebook and to the many forums in which I am a respected member of.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is a member to member forum and not customer services, even the mods will tell you to contact customer services direct.

This is the best way >>>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option if there is one in the country you are in.

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.