HELPPPP -- I can't set travel notification

TryingToTravel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to make a travel plan noification to Paypal and they're making it impossible..

I go to my profile page and there is NO security link, like I read there should be.

I've called paypal on t he phone twice and they've been no helpl  

One time she told me to go to the subpage travelplans  , and I've done that many times and the message is the same   "Sorry, your travel plans aren't available at this time

To update or cancel your travel plans, please contact Customer Service at Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us"."

I tried both Firefox and Opera, and opera on the cellphone. Same message

The one time I did get through it didn't like my date format.  The message said "Wrong date format (ex. ) " but no example.  I tried two formats including the one she later told me to use but it didnt' like any of them. 

Years ago PayPal_Adrian wrote that travel plans were only for select customers.   How do I get to be select?  

Is that why there is no security link on my profile page?   What should I do?

Surely I'm not selecte not because I havent' put in picture of myself and I haven't put in a cell phone number.  I've been using paypal 8 years even by their count. They made me resubscribe. It's actually 16 years. 

The last time I took a trip abroad I didn't  know I was supposed to notify PP and after I bought something, they squashed the sale, froze my account, and wrote me a letter delivered to my home, where I wasn't.  They could have suspected that since I tried to use Paypal when I was away and tried to ship a laptop battery there alsot.   What they didn't do is notify about any of this. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They gotten rid of the travel plans setting in the new PayPal site.

Log on and try this link, if the option still works:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view

Or don't use your PayPal account while you're away. You maybe also interested in getting the PayPal Business Debit Card.  You can use it abroad and it pays using your balance and/or your back up method.

You can get the card if you have a business account or if your personal account has received at least $500 within the last 12 months.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SanDiegoJane
New Community Member

I don't understand why travel plans shows up as an option, yet you are saying they've gotten rid of it on the new site. That makes no sense. Aren't I on the paypal site???

and it won't let me make plans, keeps referring me to customer service.

Login to Me Too

TryingToTravel
Contributor
Contributor

They gotten rid of the travel plans setting in the new PayPal site.

==>  Maybe.  I never did see a link to it.

Log on and try this link, if the option still works:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view

===>  This gave  the same message:, Travel plans not available.  Call phone n umber

Or don't use your PayPal account while you're away.

===>  That's not much of a solution.

You maybe also interested in getting the PayPal Business Debit Card.  You can use it abroad and it pays using your balance and/or your back up method.

===>   So because they can't get their act together to accept travel plans, I should be bamboozled into getting a card from them??   Do you work for them, perhaps?

===>And As a matter of fact, I eventually saw a note that you have to gell the PP credit card your travel plans also, and I wouldn't be surpised if that applies to the Business Debit Card.  BTW, I'm not a business, and I don't want any more cards.

You can get the card if you have a business account or if your personal account has received at least $500 within the last 12 months.

===>  My personal account has never received a penny, and I'm not a business.

===>Finally after getting no help on two phone calls, and two emails,  the 5th person told me that I need to have a bank account listed with them as well as my debit card, and have them both verified or something.   They said that years ago, but haven't even mentioned it for a long time.   So I added  the bank and verified the card.  Why should the card need verifying when I've bought a  half dozen things with it since I got the new card number, and none of them bounced and no one complained about anything.  Isn't that verification enough?

===>As to verifying the bank, there was no suggestion of how to do that.  I had to write them again and they provided what is apparently a secret webpage.  I've still never seen a link to it or a reference to it.  Then they wanted my userid and password that I use to look at my account, with which one can transfer  money to anyone.   The nerve of them to ask for that.   The alternative was that they wouldl deposit a small amount and I had to come back with the code, which they said could take up to 30 days,  well if the first phone call had told me about this, I could have started 2 weeks earlier.

===>  And the Help thing, with the magnifying glass, was no help either.

===>  I'm leaving out one or two emails exchanges and haven't described what took at least 4 hours over two weeks.   Paypal is so messed up.
===>  I should mention the second phone call where she was defending their not emailing me to tell me that, because I tried to buy something from out of the country before I knew anythiing about travel plans, they cancelled my order, froze my card, wrote a postal letter to my home, but never emailed me to tell me about any of this.  I waited five weeks for my laptop battery to come, only to r reorder it and it arrived the day before I went home.  A day later and I never would have gotten it at all.   So why didn't they email me, Because she said, the account was hacked so they're not going to email  me. The account  was NOT hacked.  I was out of the country.  And if it were hacked, how would it help the hacker to email him that the order was cancelled?   But it would have helped me. 

===> So based on what she said, it  looks like PP is just as fouled up as it was 9 years ago.   Incredible.  2 phone calls and 5 emails to solve what should have been a simple problem.

Login to Me Too

gypsysnail
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Thank you you so much!!! 🙂 🙂 That link worked for me and I just registered my travel plans. Very happy 🙂

Login to Me Too

FiguringItOut
Contributor
Contributor

Information as of 01/14/2018 and applies to my PayPal MasterCard tied in with a business account. It may not apply to a personal account, but you can try.

To add, update or remove Travel Plans, follow the path:

Profile (near the top right) > My settings (left hand menu bar) > Travel Plans (in the list) > Get Started (link to the right)

You will have an option to add ONE country to your plans.

If you have already added a country, it will display Active travel plans and Remove / Update (links to the right)

If you press the Remove link, your travel plan submitted earlier will be deleted.

If you press the Update link, you will be shown what you entered in the Get Started phase.  You can then update it (which overwrites your prior entry), but I do not see anyway to enter an additional country (really PayPal?). There is no Shift-click or Ctrl-click option to select multiple countries.

Date format must be 2 digits / 2 digits / 4 digits (e.g. 01/16/2018). Otherwise the date field box will be in red and you cannot save your settings.

You can select ONE country from the pull down list and then press the SAVE TRAVEL PLANS button.  You will receive a generic email notice that you have travel plans, but no confirmation of which country you specified.  If you use the same range of dates and try to select a different country, the information will be overwritten/updated (which isn’t very helpful). I much prefer the way Well-Fargo does their travel plan page, easily adding multiple countries, etc.

So my suggestion is to add the country where you will start your trip, then via WiFi or other data connection, update the plans as you enter other countries. Or switch to using another credit/debit card. I do not see a way to do this via the PayPal app, so if you are doing it via your cell phone while overseas, you will need to go to the PayPal website and update it there.

You can also call PayPal Customer Service at: <removed> and see if they can help add multiple countries in.

If this answer was helpful, vote it up.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.