Fitting customs forms on a small package

SiegeStoves
Contributor
Contributor

I have been shipping small packages over the counter at my local post office, and am now attempting to do all this online.

I have been using the small customs form that has a self-adhesive label, and not the larger forms that go into a sleeve. The larger ones are way too big to fit on my packages. The PO employee now says they have stopped issuing the small forms!

I just tried my first printed customs form via PayPal. This has a small format (approx. 4"x6"), but is it the case that I have to print 3 copies, two of which have to go into a sleeve? The stick-on sleeves at the PO are very large, so this doesn't seem like it will help much.

If I use a larger package with room for the sleeve, my packages will go over the 8.1 threshold and almost double my shipping cost!

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Only one copy is needed for first class intl pkg service online customs form/postage label.  Priority mail intl shoots out 4 half sheet copies that print out on 2 sheets and you have to cut sheets in half and stick it in appropriate envelope.

You have to make sure the label fits the package though.  Reduce the percentage size of the label by a few in the print options window for your printer but you cannot change the config of the form itself to a condensed version.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The first class package shipping label is just one page.

if your package is too small,place it in an unpadded brown envelope,large enough to past the label on it without adding  weight.

I do this all the time with overseas packages .

Youcan buy those envelopes on Ebay or AMZN ,  

Login to Me Too

SiegeStoves
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the helpful feedback. It sounds like I have to use a sleeve for the customs form and an envelope for the package. Unfortunately, even adding the weight of an envelope will push the weight of many of my packages to the 8.1 threshold. For an international package, that increases the shipping cost from $13.75 to $22.75.

I also have packages that weigh less than 4oz, but earlier this year the PO got rid of the weight category under 4.1 oz, and raised prices on everything. These moves make it harder for US producers to sell product overseas, which isn't good for the trade balance, but I'll just have to adapt!  If I figure out any work-arounds I'll post them here. One idea that comes to mind is to stick the sleeve onto the edge of the package and then fold it back on itself. Some experimentation is in order . . . .

Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Why do yo need a sleeve and an envelope?

I ship many packages overseas,most are 3 by 2 by 2 inches box,so to add bulk without adding weight and to have a large enough surface to tape the combo shipping label and custom form,I place it inside  unpadded brown envelope,9 x 6 inches.

use tape instead of sleeve,it is cheaper and lighter.

the tyvek ones are better,as it is plastic and flexible and lighter then brown paper .

yes,overseas postage has gone up a lot,I used to have many UK buyers,most have now disappeared.

I paid $10.91 for a small package ,I print my label on Ebay.

If you join INXPRESS ,you can get a discount shipping DHL,but DHL now charges 3.95 for residential delivery,but for overseas shipping,you may find it cheaper than USPS for larger packages which require tracking and signature confirmation.

The last I compared,forthe price of USPS priority going to UK,DHL/INEXPRES IS THE same,but you get signature confrmation and tracking shows it has been delivered to that address  .

USPS is impossible to get signature confirmation.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I am a top rated seller on Ebay,a first class package going to UK up to 8 ounces is 10.91.

9 ounces to 2 pounds would be 18.18

2 lb and 1oz becomes 27.87 .

so you need to keep it no more than 8 ounces.

Login to Me Too

SiegeStoves
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the helpful feedback (sorry about the delayed response).I  was able to work around the packaging issue by making the envelope larger but keeping the weight under 8oz.

Are the rates you last quoted for PayPal USPS or for DHL or using Ebay's option?

I have been using PayPal's online postage and I get the following rates:

0 to 8 oz: $12.83 (to most regions, such as Europe)

9 to 32 oz: $21.38.

33 to 48 oz: $32.78

You seem to be getting better rates. If that is because they are Ebay's rates, are you able to use their system to purchase stamps for items not sold on Ebay? So far I haven't tried selling on Ebay, and even if I do, I think most of my sales will continue to be through my web site and not on Ebay. But it would be good to know if I can purchase stamps from them at a lower rate than through PayPal.

Also, do they expect us to round weights up or down?  For example, over the counter at the PO, if a package hits 8.1 oz, the cost jumps to the next weight category (almost double the cost), but in PayPal's online postage one can't enter fractions of an ounce. So if I have something that weighs 8.4 oz, should I enter online it as 8 oz or  9 oz ?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The rates I quote you are Ebay rates for Top rated sellers,if you are not top rated sellers,you dont get this discount.

I don think Paypal can offer you the same rate.

If you sell on Ebay,you can print labels on Ebay,the first label would be for the item you sold,but the second and third label can be for someone else as long as it is the same country .

HAVE YOU tried stamps.com or other mail services,they may give you a discount.

Post office will round up,but on internet,we can get away with rounding down,say 8.1 can be 8.0.

AMZN -when you sell books on AMZN and print labels,it will tell you how much the book weighs,if you enter a lesser weight,it will warn you,but it does not stop you from using a different rate .

Take a look at the stamps.com or endicia? 

Login to Me Too

SiegeStoves
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the tips Lance. I looked into Indicia. They seem to have a better rates than Stamps.com, but curiously, they are owned by Stamps.com. I called and the salesperson recommended another partner of theirs (maybe shipping.com?), which is even stranger. When I have time I will have to go through these options again and compare them to PayPal's rate.

Maybe Ebay is in my future too. . . .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.