Donation for personal use

Nanai
Contributor
Contributor

Hello I'm running a FB page and have quite a few followers, and because I often spend so much time doing some projects to run this page, several people have suggested that I should open a donation. But I have no idea what would be the best way to start this. I'm using a personal account. Will it cost me anything to open such a donation? If anyone would guide me through this I would be very grateful. Thank you. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Here's some tips:

* Yes, you can collect donations with a Personal Account.

* There is a transaction processing fee of 2.9% + $.30 on each donation.

Example:  Someone donates $10, PayPal deducts $.59 for processing and deposits $9.41 into your account balance.

* Suggest that you "verify" your account by linking a bank account and credit card - if you don't you will experience holds on in coming money and limits on both withdraws and sending money. 

* Be aware that Fundraisers that are not verified nonprofits will be asked to demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000.  Be sure to keep good documentation to show how you used the funds.

* Here's link to getting started creating your Donation item button.

* And here's some additional info that may help.

* Note, there's two problems you will encounter - the first is that when you create a Donation item button with a Personal Account, it only creates the standard Donation item button code which is basically an HTML Form.  This works great on most web pages and sites however, not on Facebook - Facebook will accept a URL link version of the Donation code.   If you have a Business Account, then the option to create a URL or text link version of the Donation code is available.

Here's an example of a basic Donation email text or URL link:

<a href="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS&item_name=Widget Foundation&item_number=WFD-1001&no_shipping=1&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP_DonationsBF" &target="_self">Donate Now</a>

You would replace YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS with the email address you use to login to your PayPal Account.

Login to Me Too

TheJayJayStore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
If you live in the US, the only costs involved are per transaction fees. Meaning, there are no monthly fees. The first step is to determine if your business is a for-profit business or a non-profit business. Then, talk to a licensed tax professional about your tax information and to your local government office about registering your business. Let me know if your business is for-profit or non-profit.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.