Currency conversion option

ovityk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everybody,

Is there an option to completely disable currency conversion? Previously I could select something like "do not convert, use invoice currency" in the payment confirmation window. Now there is no such option anymore. 

My card currency is USD, payment was also in USD. But Paypal made a conversion from USD to UAH (currency of my country, Ukraine) and charged the card in UAH, adding conversion fee. So instead of USD102 I paid USD107 when there was no need to convert anything. I definitely didn't need 5% overhead.

By not letting customers directly specify credit card and payment currency Paypal is ripping us off. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

financenuriyevn
New Community Member

Yes, Paypal does stupid conversion from USD -> UAH,  My bank receives a payment bill comes from US in UAH which is weird, and then convert it to USD.

USD->UAH->USD.  when it can bill me directly in USD.

Paypal guys, do you have an logic behind this.  Of course no, let me explain , how much time I spent to get USD  dollar VISA card , it takes 10 days.

What paypal does is DISRESPECT my time and my money.

Looking for solution and apologizing for 43 million people country!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

search this forum and see if there is a solution to your problem,this happens to others as well.

One solution which may work for you is to specify in your Paypal financial profile that you acept US $ AND want to keep them as US $ without conversion,then send your self some US dollars or ask someone to send you US$,then now you have US$ in your account you can use to buy things

Login to Me Too

rebek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

Since this is really annoying I'm going out of my way and writing a forum message:

From time to time PayPal does 2 things:

1. Change the location of the "Conversion Options" page location

2. Change the currency conversion type from "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice" to "PayPal conversion".

I think the reason for these 2 things is obvious so I will not elaborate...But as for April 2018 this is how you find the newly placed "Conversion Options" page:

1. Press Settings wheel in top right corner
2. Payments
3. Manage pre approved payments
4. Click the link in "Can’t find what you’re looking for? Try the manage pre-approved payments page" 
5. Set available funding sources
6. Conversion options
7. Change back to "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice."

It is recommended to log in to PayPal several times a year and verify the option has not been changed again and also before making big purchases, but probably the location of the page will move again 🙂

Good luck & G-D help us with monopolies...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.