Changing/Closing my Paypal Account

mickeysan
New Community Member

Hello,

I have a Paypal account with a bank account and credit card account from the Philippines, but now I just moved here in Japan and upon opening my Paypal account it seems that it is not possible for me to add my new Japanese bank account details or even change my previous Philippine bank account with my new Japan bank account.

Having said those, is there a way that I can change my bank account details on my Philippine based Paypal account and use my current Japan bank account?

If not, is it possible to close my existing Paypal account and then create a new one using the same e-mail address but the bank and credit card accounts that I will use will be Japan based?

Thank you very much.

Mickey

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You would need to close the old account and open a new one.  Note, you would also need an new email address.  Once you register an email address with PayPal for an account, the system won't permit you to reuse it for a new account.

Login to Me Too

Awabosnia
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar situation about to occur and what you write snowshoe, about not being able to reuse an email address for an account, is very worrying.

I run a non profit organisation for animal rescue.

I am transferring running of this organisation to someone else, who lives in a different country.
They will be responsible for the paypal account. 

I have gathered that in order to transfer the paypal account to this person, I need to close the existing account, and a new account needs to be opened in their country. 

We need to keep the same paypal address for donations, as this paypal address is in all our information, flyers, websites, facebook groups etcetera. 

Also, what happens in the interrum with the reccuring donations that go to the account, we do not want any interupption of these.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What we've experienced in the past is that if you try to reuse an email address, the system will say this address is already associated or linked to an account.  Even though the account is closed.  The PayPal system retains information, don't know for how long but, this is why you can't delete an account, you can only close one.  It's just part of their system security.

As the community forum is not customer support, you may want to follow-up by contacting them to see if you do have any options as policies and/or procedures do change.

If there's no options, you would have to make some changes.  For example, you would need to cancel the recurring donations and start over.   Unfortunately this scenario is not much different than if the organization changed it's name and/or moved to a new location.  All of your marketing material, stationary, etc. would have to change too.  

Login to Me Too

lgandras
New Community Member

I can confirm you can reuse your email address. I just did today:

1. Add another email address to your current account
  2. Make this new email address your primary email address
  3. Remove the first email address (the one you want to reuse) from the emails list
  4. Open a new account specifying the desired email address

You don't even have to close your current paypal account. I have now both accounts without problems.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys.

Apologies for the delay in responding.

If you have closed a PayPal account and are considering registering a new PayPal account, you will be able to use the same email address that was used on the closed account.

If an error message is being received advising that the email address cannot be used, we would advise you to try clearing your cache & cookies on the device you are using and then try again.

If you are still experiencing difficulties, please let us know and we can look into this further on your behalf.

I hope this helps.

David.

Login to Me Too

JEFFREY35
New Community Member

hi. I just closed my paypal account a while ago since I 'm haveing problem getting my account verified. i already requested twice for a verification code, one at feb. 24 2016 and the other just last march 2 but to no avail.

i decided to close that account then i created a new one using a different email address however ia m using the same bank account (visa debit) becuase this is my only bank account which i can use for paypal.

problem is, it say "We're sorry, but that credit card can't be linked to additional PayPal accounts. Please link a different credit card." when i entered I add credit or debit card. 

what should I do now? I urgently need to have a paypal account to recieve my salary from abroad.

thank you for your reply the soonest time possible.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@JEFFREY35

I suspect that you did not remove your bank/credit card information from your previous account before closing.  You can't use a bank/credit account that is already linked to another account.

You might be able to fix it, but you'll need to call PayPal customer service for help.

Do you think a new account will really resolve your security issues that you had with the closed acocunt?

Login to Me Too

howdy1234
New Community Member

Hi David,

Would you also be able to use the same bank account?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

rikbenz
New Community Member

I have been requesting to remove limitations to my account since 2009. Recently, I have been in touch with more than 10 Call Agents since 20-April-16 shortly before midnight GMT+3. I lost several hundreds of Riyals already until now my account remained limited. I want to close it. The email address associated with this account has been inactive for years just want to get rid of this account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.