Can't link Bank of America Account

Alyssa73
New Community Member
I have used PayPal for quite some times now and over the years have had different credit/debit cards linked as well as bank accounts. I currently have my Bank of America debit card linked to my account but, PayPal says that I need to link my bank account directly with the routing number to be able to use my PayPal debit card for transactions when I have no funds in my PayPal account. My reason for wanting to do this is because my paypal debit card earns 1% cash back on purchases where as my Bank of America card does not. Anyways..today I went to input my Bank of America checking account routing number and account number. I double and triple checked these numbers, verifying that they were correct and yet each time I try to link the account I get a response from PayPal saying "instrument fails risk check. Need to go through authentication." What does this mean? I already have this account linked to PayPal through my debit card so why would I not be able to link with my routing number? Any suggestions will help. I don't know it makes a difference or not but I have been trying to do this through the PayPal app on my iphone.
Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

jegar17
New Community Member

I am encountering the same issue with my Aspiration account.  Same error message.  I also have my debit card for this account added to my cards in Paypal.  I too am trying via an iphone.  Not trying to hijack your thread but i felt it was important to note the same issue with a different bank.  Let's hope someone knows a fix..

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your phone doesn't meet the security requements.  Try from your secure computer.

Login to Me Too

jegar17
New Community Member

You rock! I just did it and was coming back here to share that exact information.  thank you so much

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the confirmation.

Login to Me Too

juantovarius
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem, I'm trying to link to an Ally Bank checking account. I have tried both from my phone and from my secure computer, and neither one is working.

The error I get on the phone is 'instrument fails risk check'.

The error I get on the computer is that it says it needs to verify by sending a text message, which completes successfully, but then the page just redirects to the same screen saying that it needs to verify the computer.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Ally Bank?

Paypal hates Ally Bank.

Login to Me Too

JaiPhoenyx
Contributor
Contributor
Wow. Real helpful....... Not
Login to Me Too

JScurlock
New Community Member

@juantovarius - Not sure if you are still having this issue (came across this forum post while researching similar problem.) For me, I was getting the error mentioned of "Instrument faild risk check" on my Galaxy S7, and on my Computer and iPad was getting the "Verification needed" where I got a text message, entered the code, and then it just redirected me to the same submit Verification screen.

I was able to complete the process by:

Doing the "Validation text message" process.

After it redirects me back to that same screen, simply click on the PayPal logo to return to "Home".

I then clicked the "Add bank Account" and re-entered the information, and this time it worked with the 2-3 day pending verification.

Login to Me Too

juantovarius
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, @JScurlock! Those steps worked for me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.