Can't change primary email address

KaliWings
Contributor
Contributor

I need to change my primary email as it's no longer accessible. I have added my new email and confirmed it. I can only "update" or delete it. I click on "update" and check the box to make my primary...but...next option is only "change email." I click on this and of course get message "email account already exists."

I have also added a different email, click on update, put in email that I want to be my primary, click on hoc to make it my primary, select change email. I have to confirm it and am back where I was without being able to change my primary from that inactive account...grrr

I'm using an Ipad and tried on my android phone...both the same. I don't have a computer to access.

please help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
That's odd. That message sounds like you're trying to add a new email, but you should just be updating the existing email. Sounds like it could be a browser cookie/cache issue maybe. I would try from a desktop and see if you have the same problem.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Hmmm...not sure I'm following the procedure you've done here, but this series of steps should be fine.

1. Add the new email address to the PayPal and confirm it. (sounds like you've already done this.

2. Click back into the Email addresses section of your profile, and click Update next to the new email that you've added.

3. Check the box to make this email your primary email.

paypal-primary-email.png

4.  Click the Change Email button to save this email as the new primary email on the account.

5.  Go back to the email list and click Remove next to the old email.  Since this email is no longer the primary, it should allow you to remove it without issue.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is it a good idea t o remove the old email address?

someone who still have your old email address may send you payment and then it would become unclaimed?

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Good, point. I was thinking the poster might have killed the original email and that's why they were removing it. If that's the case, though, then yeah, you may just want to leave the old address in place after switching the primary email.
Login to Me Too

KaliWings
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding. I try to "update" the new email and "check make primary" then click the "change email" button. I get a response "this email already exists." It doesn't change my new email as the primary.

I'm on an iPad. Could this be the problem?

yeah...no longer have access to my original email as it's been hacked.

thank you!

Login to Me Too
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
That's odd. That message sounds like you're trying to add a new email, but you should just be updating the existing email. Sounds like it could be a browser cookie/cache issue maybe. I would try from a desktop and see if you have the same problem.

Login to Me Too

KaliWings
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding and helping me. I was able to complete it on my Android phone. I don't usually like to do money apps on my phone. I couldn't complete on my iPad using Safari as the browser...FYI.

thanks again!

Kali

Login to Me Too

gvmelbrty
Contributor
Contributor

Having this exact same issue using iPad, Chrome browser, iOS 11.2.5:  I get a response "this email already exists" when I select the “make primary” checkbox and then “confirm” on a newly added and confirmed email.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.