Can't add AMEX card to account

tayylor
Contributor
Contributor

It keeps saying card is not accepted and try another one. My money is on this card. I got an american express gift card. I've used gift cards before without problem at all. Yet I can't add this card to my account? Why not? It's my card 😕

Thanks

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Did you use the gift card on PayPal before?

Is it registered to your same name and address as on your PayPal account?

Is this a re-loadable gift card?

Login to Me Too

tayylor
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't used this gift card before but I've used many in the past (edit: don't own a credit card nor does my bank work with pp)

This card doesn't let you add any billing information to the card? I've looked? So there is nothing for it to match too that i'm aware of?

And no, it's not

edit: upon further research I believe they make you call them and wait on the phone to update the billing information. How annoying. They should post that somewhere 😕 Visa and mastercard let you edit accounts online ...

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Without identity information linked to the card you would not be able to link it to PayPal.

PayPal requires financial identity information to comply with regulations.  If you want to continue to use PayPal you will need to to provide information as requested, including adding a bank account which PayPal accepts.  Phone calls may also be required from time to time; it's all part of a security process and to show the phone number is registered in your name and address.

Login to Me Too

tayylor
Contributor
Contributor

Called and added my billing information to the card. Now the card still isn't accepted. Figures.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Have you talked to PayPal customer service agents?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

AMEX reps are familiar with Paypal,try online chat at its website

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.