Can't Remove Address

harmy823
Contributor
Contributor

I have an address i want to remove from my account. When I go into setting and click delete address, it gives me an error and says i need to remove it from my wallet first. If i go to my wallet, i can't find the address anywhere. It is not listed as the primary address on any of my cards. How do i get rid of it? Please help

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

BBush141
Contributor
Contributor

We were having a problem deleting our old address. I called Pay Pal customer service and the lady was extremely nice. We got to delete old address with her, changed phone number.  Wish I had called earlier. 

Login to Me Too

ankoorsd
New Community Member

Really crappy development work by the Paypal team.....Multiple issues on this site.  I am planning on closing my account soon.  Statements and payment are not organized properly.  Paypal is useless for me now.

Login to Me Too

carsonskywalker
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal software is a crappy programming.   I tried all the solutions others have listed on this forum and I still cannot delete old obsolete shipping addresses.   They always show up when I use PayPal to buy from vendor (not ebay).   So I called PayPal and was on hold 35 minutes.   Then spent another 45 minutes with support person.   Took a long time just to get her understand the problem.   She kept repeating she could only see one address.   I finally told her the steps I took to even See them. 

1 login to PayPal account

2.  click on settings (gear shaped button)  to left of log out

3.  click Edit beside my name

4. when dialog box asks which name I want changed click CANCEL

5.  It then opens a Web page with title "Personal information" 

6.  Under address click on SEE MORE

7. Now can see 14 years of shipping addresses I have used including some I never used

8.  No delete button available and only edit current address (don't want to do that) 

She finally saw what I was talking about.   She was able to delete most but two she kept trying to delete and they still showed up on my "personal information"  page.   I cleared my browsing history,  logout and back in.   Repeated steps 1-6 and those same two stubborn addresses still there but she said could not see them on.   So at least got most deleted. 

Then I asked her to delete a very old phone number (landlines from 7 years ago).   She said I  had to answer a bunch of security check questions.   Did 4 then asked which of a listed of phone numbers were ever mine.   ARE THEY SERIOUS?   I cannot remember every phone number I have had over 14 years.   Remember when you had to get new number every time you got new cell phone or moved.   I didn't recognize any of the numbers so said None of the above.   Must have answered incorrectly because phone immediately  disconnected .    WTF

I am beginning to think a lot of the problems some of us are having are specific to browser and operating system.   I see several postings with people on Mac using Chrome were able to delete old addresses themselves.   I use Chrome on Windows 7 home edition and the delete buttons never appear. 

So even after calling and wasting more than an hour with PayPal support,  even they were unable to delete all my old obsolete addresses. 

Login to Me Too

TempUser011916
Contributor
Contributor

If you cant remove addresses on your paypal account. its possible that you have A card that is still associated with it. Paypal's security checks details with your card issuer if they are matching. you need to UPDATE the billing addresses of your cards first before you can remove an old address. Paypal DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE addresses, phone numbers, bank accounts or cards. YOU NEED TO UPDATE THEM. It does not know if a bank or card is no longer working since PAYPAL is not a bank. MOST things are NOT automatic.

Login to Me Too

thegrandmadness
New Community Member

OK, this worked for me...

I had 3 addresses listed. 1 was primary / billing but was a house I no longer live in or have things delivered to.

Solved this by creating a new address using the same details as the existing one that I wasn't being allowed to set as primary and ticking the "make my primary address" box before selecting done. (The error message was the same as mentioned earlier that it was associated to an existing payment method and that I need to change in wallet before deleting / amending).

By creating a new one it didn't add a duplicate, it overwrote the exisitng one as primary and also as a byproduct, allowed me to remove the old obsolete address.

Login to Me Too

carsonskywalker
Contributor
Contributor

All linked bank and credit cards have same address as my primary PayPal account.  

The problem is two very old obsolete addresses keep showing up.  After an hour on the phone, they told me "Paypal never deletes addresses".  They just deacitivate them somehow.  But they were unable to "deactivate" to remaining old addresses."  In fact, I received 5 emails from 5 different support people at PayPal "assuring me I had only one address on PayPal."  Then why do I still see these two obsolete addresses on my personal information page and they claim they aren't there?

I do not believe their assurances as I can still see them.  Some people using Mac with Chrome say they have been able to delete themselves.  A clickable "delete shows up next to each address.  When they click, the addresses go away.  They got to where the old address were through "wallet."

So this seems to be a browser/operating system problem.  I use Chrome with Windows 7.  There are no addresses in my wallet.  Just credit cards and bank account.  And when I am able to get to "personal information" webpage, I see the two old obsolete addresses and an old landland from 4+ years ago.  No delete available.  If I click edit, it only allows me to edit current primary address.  So no way to delete obsolete addresses.  NOT EVEN SUPPORT PEOPLE can do it.  They claim they aren't even there.

Login to Me Too

ojizzle
New Community Member

Hi peepz!

This is the solution to all your problems!

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view

You're welcome.

Login to Me Too

merelyk
Contributor
Contributor

much thanks to ojizzle!  i have no idea where you got that link but it seems to work for the post i was going to add:

[ i'm facing same problem with deleting an address associated with a card that i have deleted:  "you must go to your Wallet and change address assoc with this card' - THE CARD WHICH DOESN'T EXIST.  back to the live call center i guess.  i'm trying to get my ebay, paypal, and credit card addresses EXACTLY the same (sometimes my address has "Rd" after street address, sometimes no't - you wouldn't think that matters but it might.  there are no addresses in my state that have the same street but a "Circle" or "Ave" or whatever so it's a mystery why it might matter - so that my address will be "Confirmed/Verified" status. ]

Login to Me Too

chosn4one
Contributor
Contributor

OMG! Ojizzle, you are a lifesaver. That's the only thing that worked for me. Years later, and the issue still persists. THANK YOU for posting that link!

Login to Me Too

canadianangelxo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much ojizzle! You're a life saver!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.