Can't Change Preferred (Default) Credit Card Anymore

Rick216
Contributor
Contributor

I currently use ONLY credit cards on PayPal, no debit cards or bank account.  There are 4 credit cards in my account.  I'll call them CC1, CC2, CC3 and CC4.

For a couple years I have had CC2 set as my Preferred (default) payment account.  So when I go to checkout on a website, that is the one that shows up.  (Of course I can change to a different card at checkout, but the change applies to that one transaction only.) 

I now want to change to CC4 as the default.  Making this kind of change used to be easy on the old PayPal site.  And it *looks* like it should be easy on the new site, but it simply doesn't work -- at least not for me.  I went to My Account / Settings / Edit Payment Preferences, and under "choose how you prefer to pay in stores" I clicked on CC4.  This highlights it and puts a check mark next to it.

Seems simple, but again, it doesn't accomplish anything.  CC2 still always shows up instead when I go to checkout, and I have to manually change it to CC4 each time (if I remember to).  I have tried repeatedly to fix this, to no avail.  A CSR spent awhile with me on the phone and finally declared she had fixed it by deleting and re-adding cards.  But nope, it still always comes up with CC2 as the default at checkout.  I have tried things like deleting and re-adding cards myself, but the only way I can get it to actually use CC4 as the checkout default is by deleting all the other cards. And as long as CC2 is still on the list, that's the one that always shows up.  But again, this is only at checkout.  My *settings* still denote CC4 as the preferred card, i.e. with the highlighting and checkmark.

This has got to be some kind of weird bug on my account, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone has a brainstorm.  I doubt this could have anything to do with it, but CC1, CC2 and CC3 are all Visas, while CC4 is the only Mastercard.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

muckraker
New Community Member

I just changed my default credit card and removed two older accounts. Here's how. Click on the Wallet tab and you'll get a list of the bank accounts and credit cards on file. Click on the card you want to use as your default/primary payment method and then click the star to make it your preferred method of payment. To remove a card or account, click on it, then click on remove, then confirm. Of course, I won't know if it sticks until I need to pay for my next transaction, but the removed cards/bank account are no longer on my Wallet list, and the correct credit card is tagged "preferred."

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

spooky
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first time I've visited the PayPal community help forum, so please forgive me if I have somehow overlooked an existing answer to this message/question.  The same thing has happened to me, repeatedly.  PayPal continues to select my savings account at a local bank, rather than a debit card from another bank.  I have not found a way to change my preferred (or "default") source of funds.  I hope somebody answers this question with clear instructions on how to do it.  

By the way, I had no trouble changing my preferred payment method to that savings account, about 5 years ago.  Why in heaven's name did PayPal revise the system to make this simple process so difficult (...if not impossible)?

Login to Me Too

DeskjockeySid
Contributor
Contributor
Mine is locked on a closed bank account. The default payment option change process is obtuse.
Login to Me Too

Brendanfelix
New Community Member

Did anyone get an answer to this problem from PayPal????

I have exactly the same issue in that my preferred payment method is set to my personal Debit Card , but it keeps defaulting to my Work Credit Card which I use sometimes use to buy stuff for work.

I am now frequently buying personal stuff on the Compnay Card due to this inability to make a permanent change to my personal card.

Fortunately so far this has all been small stuff like phone cases and screen protectors, but I will buy bigger stuff soon, and end up getting fired for using the Company Credit Card for personal items (which is fraud), due to me forgetting to make the manual change every time I want to pay with PayPal, which is very easy to forget, and very tedious when you don't!

PayPal, please fix this urgently.

Login to Me Too

linkach
New Community Member

I have also tried to change my payment source and I can add new accounts/card but not remove old out of date info which keeps getting used and rejected

I am just going to close my account

it just does not feel secure anymore and if such a major thing like payment details cannot be resolved by paypal on our own account 

how can we trust this company to manage our privacy

Login to Me Too

Christwinkle10
New Community Member

After many attempts I think I found the right solution. My account>settings. I went to pay after delivery which took me to my payment accounts and it was there I was able to make the change. Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

spooky
Contributor
Contributor

To Christwinkle10 -- I don't understand the process that you describe.  You say you went to pay AFTER delivery?  I didn't even know that was an option on any PayPal transaction.  Could you please be a little more clear, step by step, for folks like me who are easily confused.

Login to Me Too

ma_j
New Community Member

Worked for me!

I went into the pre approved payments (uber, etc) and there was a link that took me to a page where I could disable all the other methods, leaving only my preferred card.

Thank you very much.

@Christwinkle10 wrote:

After many attempts I think I found the right solution. My account>settings. I went to pay after delivery which took me to my payment accounts and it was there I was able to make the change. Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

olexl

This helped me set my other card as Primary:

1. Settings (Gear icon) -> Payments -> Manage Pre-approved payments

2. Press "login with PayPal" link in the text

3. menu [Profile] -> Add/Edit Credit Card

4. Press [Make Primary]

Enjoy.

Login to Me Too

Dacron
New Community Member

I have just got of the phone with Paypal.

They have confirmed it is not possible to change the, "preferred funding source".

The only option is to change the payment source, from the default to the new one you would like to use, when initialy making the payment.

I have 2 bank accounts verified on my account and will try deleting the one i don't want set as default, then adding it back at a later time, once the correct one is set as "preferred funding source".

I have tried deleting the primary account already, but am recieving a message saying this is not possible right now.

I assume this is because i have a payment due to go out shortley as, "Pay after delivery".

I will update if this is succesfull.

For the record, i think it is ridiculous that it is possible to send a payment securely to an email address from my mobile phone, yet not possible to change the default account that the money is drawn from.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.