Can i use an American Express credit card to verify my paypal account?

LLP123
Contributor
Contributor

This is directly copied from the PayPal website.

Get Verified using your credit card
Provide us with your info. We’ll make two small charges to your card. Return to PayPal and enter those charges along with the adjacent code as they appear on your credit card statement. We’ll reimburse you for the charges and you’ll be Verified.

I would like to use the steps above to become verified using my American Express credit card. When I call PayPal they say I need to sign up for a PayPal credit card in order to verify my account using a credit card. It seems like they are just trying to get me to sign up for a credit card through PayPal and are not interested in answering my question, Can I use my pre exsisting American Express credit card to get my account verified?

Thanks in advance

-Leah

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Just follow the instructions when you sign up for PayPal.  When you get the point to verifying your AmEx, just do it.  Was there a problem?

Login to Me Too

LLP123
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirmed my credit card on paypal in the past but I need my account to have a verified status. I am not given the option to verify my account with the credit card. The PayPal website says I can get a one dollar charge taken out of my account and a code will be listed next to the charge that I can type in to verify my account.

I do not have a bank so this is the only way I can get a verified status on my paypal account, which I need in order to get payments from a company I work for sent to paypal so I can pay bills with the money. So this is really important and when I call PayPal they just try to get me to sign up for a Paypal credit card and ignore my question. It is really frustrating.

This is what it says on the website-

Get Verified using your credit card
Provide us with your info. We’ll make two small charges to your card. Return to PayPal and enter those charges along with the adjacent code as they appear on your credit card statement. We’ll reimburse you for the charges and you’ll be Verified.

Then when I click get verified it gives me the option to click on signing up for a paypal credit card or providing banking info. You would think if you can only get your account verified using a PayPal credit card that it would not say "Get verified using YOUR credit card."

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me through this process.

-Leah

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You need a non-AmEx card to get your ID verified on PayPal; I think that's the way it works.

Didn't you use your bank account to verify your identity?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do you currently have a card added and verified on your PayPal account but it's just that the PayPal account is still not marked as having Verified status?

You can verify your account by completing two out of three steps: linking and confirming your bank account, verifying your credit or debit card information and/or providing your social security number.

Or is the system is simply not letting you add/verify your Amex card specifically?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.