Account verification code doesn't look ANYTHING like they say it will. What now?

GuildAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've been reading multiple questions and PayPal staff just repeat the same copy pasted replies about the code being between PP and CODE. I followed the advice of  @PayPal_AshleyP to contact them on Facebook. Still waiting for a reply...

So... Here is what my credit card statement says:

PAYPAL 4029357734 000LU 132246

So can someone PLEASE explain to me exactly which part of that text is the part "between" PP * and "CODE" ???

Call me crazy or maybe my English is just bad... but I would have thought that if the word "CODE" was present in the text then the letters C,O,D and E would actually be present somewhere in the text... I don't see it, do you? In fact, can you see even 1 of the letters that spell out CODE anywhere on the transaction? Again, I can't...

So now what? Do I simply start with 0001 and just try to authennticate my card 9999 times till I finally get the number they didn't send me?

Seriously, WTF???

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

GuildAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

FFS... few days ago I was complaining about how I can;t delete my posts and was told "Yeah, but you can edit it" so now I try to edit this post and the option has miraculously disappered... Sigh... Guess I'll have to make another post then instead...

Right, so when I tried to verify my account I got a code that looked nothing like what they said it would look like and then I googled the issue only to find that there is a lot of confusion around how to verify your card (some people expecting the code to be emailed to them while others think they can log in to PayPal and find the code there etc). Well I thought I understood the process since I am a native English speaker and they do explain it quite clearly (complete with pictures to go along with it) and yet, what they say (and show) was not what I received and thus I was stuck...

I am now sorted and wanted to share my story with you to hopefully avoid some strugle for some people.

First thing to know: PayPal is going to charge your bank account / Credit Card. Tey will TAKE money from you. Be aware of that. It's very important that you know that.

Secondly, now that you know they have taken money frmo you, go look in your online statements for the transaction WHERE they took the money. That transaction will contain the code that you need to use to verify your card so THAT is where you get the code... Look in your bank statements, not in PayPal and don't expect an email and don't think PayPal is scamming you for saying they will give you a code and then don't (yes, I read that also).

Thirdly, once your account is verified PayPal will give you back the money they took. From the message that popped up it SOUNDED like they were going to put it back into my Credit Card but from what I read in the documentation, they actually put it in your PayPal account and you can then spend it from there. I am still waiting to see what happens there.

Now, MY issue was that the code was NOT present in the transaction. I got this:

PAYPAL 4029357734 000LU 132246

instead of the PP * 1234CODE that I was supposed to get. Well, things is, it turns out I was simply too hasty. They say it will take a few days to appear but I went and looked immediately and therein was my problem. A few days later I went to check again and found another mystery...

the transaction that PayPal had made on my credit card was now missing. It wasn't made and then reversed, no, that $0.90

transaction no longer appears on my statement AT ALL! Instead, it is now replaced with a $1.95 transaction that includes the code.

Now I don't know how PayPal managed to get transactions removed from my credit card statements but I can tell you confused souls out there, check your bank statements but wait a few days before you do and you will find the code you are looking for. Simply follow the instructions as they gave it to you and don't think about skipping a step or two and all will be well 😛

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.