Unable to get to PayPal website - This Connection is Untrusted

Dave3114
Contributor
Contributor

New PC using Windows 8.1 and Firefox 35.0. Can't access PayPal website about half the time, get a "This Connection is Untrusted" and no way on the screen to allow for an exception. When this happens, I am able to access PayPal on the same ISP using a little netbook with Windows XP. It's never failed to access PayPal and goes right to my account. With new PC and Win 8.1, I've tried disabling Internet security, Kaspersky and Defender, problem still occurs. Next morning, am able to access PayPal on Win 8.1, then it may fail hours later. Tried using Chrome and had similar results. New failure now says "Your Connection is not Private" and refuses to allow access. Hours later, it works fine.

PayPal is NO HELP AT ALL. They've told me to reinstall browsers, call my ISP, and other worthless ideas. They refuse to believe PayPal is causing the problem. There's no way to email PayPal for a problem like this. 

I believe it may be a timing problem on Internet, but have no way to figure it out.

Anyone have a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Dave3114
Contributor
Contributor

After months of frustration, I finally found that Kaspersky was causing the problem. And Kaspersky's Fan Club had the answer. Here's what I found. After following the instructions, my problem went away - permanently.

Under topic "This Connection is Untrusted" error in Firefox KIS 2015

michael_hoang  31.01.2015 16:57

To fix this issue, please help to import KIS certificate:
1. Going to "Option" --> Advanced --> Certificates
2. Go to View Certificate
3. On Authorities tab, click Import
4. Going to the following: %programdata%\Kaspersky Lab\AVP15.0.1\Data\Cert
Please note: All hidden files must be shown.
5. Import "(fake)Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Root Certificate"
6. Click Open to import.

Now you can surf Google and access your Gmail account without Trusted certificate warning!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

gbgrout
Contributor
Contributor

I have been vexed by this error as well.  For me it occurs in all web browsers.  My son, also using a PC on our home network, also encountered it.  Here are 3 actions we took that fixed the problem -- at least temporarily.  I don't know all the details of why they worked.  We are both running Windows 7 Home Premium.

1) Open a command prompt (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt), and in it run this comment (without the quotes): "ipconfig /flushdns".  In my case I think a bad IP address had made it into my DNS cache, and once the right IP for paypal was determined via a real DNS lookup, all was well.  However, another time I had the same error, this command did not fix it.

2) Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Content tab, click Clear SSL State.  This worked for my son but not for me.

3) Clear the browser cache.  I use Firefox, so this is done by clicking the Open Menu icon in the upper right, selecting Options, selecting the Privacy tab, then clicking Clear Your Recent History, selecting Everything as the time range, then unchecking all boxes except Cache, and clicking Clear Now.  If you don't want to clear as much, select a smaller time interval first and try it.  If that doesn't work, try a longer time interval, etc.

4) If you are using Norton Internet Security, disable Smart Firewall and then give it a try:  In the task tray, right-click the Norton Internet Security icon, and select Disable Smart Firewall.  Try accessing paypal.  Whether this works or not, then re-enable Smart Firewall the same way.  This worked for me; paypal.com remained accessible without the untrusted certificate error.  We'll see how long this lasts.  NOTE: I do NOT fully understand NIS's Smart Firewall, nor what it opened when I disabled it; do this at your own risk!

I have also seen others say that the date/time on their PC was wrong, and once they corrected it, the problem went away.  There are other solutions offered as well by others, some of whom use different Antivirus programs and it is related to one or more of its settings.

If I find any more workarounds/fixes, or understand more about why the above fixed the problem (at least, temporarily) in my case, I'll edit or post again.

Login to Me Too

marthajosephine
New Community Member

I encountered this same problem after upadating Kaspersky.  I don't get it.  Without help I wil no longer be able to use Paypal at all.

Login to Me Too

temp201811162l
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried to use the Pivate Window (Ctrl & Shift & P ) ?
Normally all plugins are disabeld in Private mode so you might be able to use PayPal without Kaspersky Plugin.
I would remove the Kaspersky App and replace it with somthing else.

Login to Me Too

ankean8
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there!

is you cannot goto PayPal website?

watch this video below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8DDGrFIQYw

If this method is worked please share!

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
Solved

Dave3114
Contributor
Contributor

After months of frustration, I finally found that Kaspersky was causing the problem. And Kaspersky's Fan Club had the answer. Here's what I found. After following the instructions, my problem went away - permanently.

Under topic "This Connection is Untrusted" error in Firefox KIS 2015

michael_hoang  31.01.2015 16:57

To fix this issue, please help to import KIS certificate:
1. Going to "Option" --> Advanced --> Certificates
2. Go to View Certificate
3. On Authorities tab, click Import
4. Going to the following: %programdata%\Kaspersky Lab\AVP15.0.1\Data\Cert
Please note: All hidden files must be shown.
5. Import "(fake)Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Root Certificate"
6. Click Open to import.

Now you can surf Google and access your Gmail account without Trusted certificate warning!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.