Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

olegs_bogatovf
Contributor
Contributor

It is a pity that I had not read the forum.
Paypal collects information from you. Bank accounts, credit cards, address, passport, Photo ID  .....

It takes some money from you.
at any time blocks.

MAFIA?

My account access limited

..............................................................................................

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

2 Jul 2013: It's been a little while since you used your account. For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal Service we need some more information about you and your account

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-002-454-190-433.)

...................................................................................................

2 Jul 2013. I send document PDF "Proof of Address". 2 years - In Progress - Resolve !
I sent for 2 years a lot of documents. but there is no answer!?

I can not change my mobile phone number!

What do I need to do? I do not understand.
How long more do I need to wait?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi olegs_bogatovf,

That sounds frustrating. We usually review documents within 48 hours and update our customers via email. We'd be happy to take a second look at your case but it's safer if we don't share this conversation in public. Would you consider calling us? Calls are free on 0800 358 7911. We're open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday, from 8am to 9pm on Saturday and from 9am to 9pm on Sunday. Otherwise, you can call the Dublin Help Centre directly on 00353 1 436 9004. Rates from overseas landlines and mobiles may vary.

Thanks for posting.

Arda

Login to Me Too

Snowyxpp
Contributor
Contributor

i got this aswell, got a message saying im close to lift limits etc. on jul 25

i sent them a picture of a ebay bill that shows my address and my name when i ordered something and also my driver license in the same picture.

still havent gotten a message 😕 i wonder if my moneys on the way to my bank? because i got this message right after i withrew money to my bank account... Atleast i didnt get the email saying "your money is on the way to the bank"

its been 3 days im really anxious.

thanks.

Login to Me Too

thesignman
New Community Member

I just got he same request. I've done business with pay pal for many years, just bank and credit card. i do not want to store money on this site.  What percipitated this information request was that pay pal put thru and unauthorized payment to a vendor of mine and i asked for a refund. They agreed to the refund which goes back to my bank.

The Crux here is that, Pictures, copies of licenses and passports just makes matters a whole lot worse when they have a datat breach, and we all know they will have a data breach.  No Bank of mine or credit card company requires this nad for them to tell us the the federal gov. requires this, i find hard to believe. Even the IRS does not have a picture me.

I will have to stop doing business with this company they are not safe.

I wish you all well.

Login to Me Too

SATerp
New Community Member

I do not understand why I am being asked for this intrusive and confidential information simply to activate my new Mastercard (replacing an expired one.) My account is already verified and linked to my bank, I do not think it is necessary to send PP anymore information. If PP is hot to lose my business, so be it. I have read through this entire thread, and it is astounding that a corporation could be so tone deaf as regards its customers.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi SATerp,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear this.

As I’ve already clarified in the previous post, PayPal is a banking institution we need to make sure you are the owner of the card this is why we need to ask you to provide certain documents. This is a standard process and every banking institution needs to follow these regulations, however most banks would ask for the documents in advance before opening an account for you.

Data protection is of primary importance to us. You can learn more about it here: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full.

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. If you need further assistance I would recommend you contacting us via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope it helps.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Cabllero
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal

many people seem to be unconfortable with requesting their official documents to be uploaded to a virutal bank. you don't even have a physical existence. we as customer we are subscribing to a free service. under what law are you requesting official documents to be uploaded to your website. i know paypal long time ago and never asked for these. first proof your existence as physical bank then ask people to proof their identity. me and many people don't like your or the way the customer serivce handle the calls. 

**bleep**

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi thesignman,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear this.

As a banking institution we need to make sure you are the owner of the card this is why we need to ask you to provide certain documents. This is a standard process and every banking institution needs to follow these regulations, however most banks would ask for the documents in advance before opening an account for you.

Data protection is of primary importance to us. You can learn more about it here: https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full.

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. I would recommend you contacting us via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope this will be resolved for you soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Jan2014
Contributor
Contributor

hey my account is limited im a student so only have student id card ive uploaded my bank statement clearly shows address paypal you stink who do u think you are i dont need to provide anymore due to data protection here in the uk our lawss are diffrent toyours i dont have a id card i was born raised and bread here in the uk bank statement is good enough now relaese my money your are not a bank here in the uk so release my money and close my account down you are a waist of space and are ripping the public that uses your services omg im not even got any more so never mind money laudering crap excuse im student for god sake trying to sell a few items to pay my board money to parents now release my money at £86 and close my account down dont dilly dally around im getting really anoyed with your service its crap crap crap 

this is my case id

Your case ID for this reason is PP-004-109-327-294

Login to Me Too

Mmmj
So did you manage to get it? That's exactly what happened to me and I'm seriously not happy about this.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.