Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

Drini
Contributor
Contributor

UK operates under EU law, only thing that's not is US embargo goods or countries, OFAC.

Most commen limitations:

EU receiving limit that all banks have to follow when you receive more then 2500 you have to provide Prrof of address and proof of identity and it cannot be the same document, again laws. Some markets offers direct payment option aswell as a normal slow bank transfers. Since those direct transfers go thru a third party they are considered as receiving money.

Sending limit is for unverified accounts.

Withdrawal limits or issues require bank statements as proof that you own the account,

Buyer/Seller risk limitations is to make sure it's legal activity.

Underaged restictions that breaks PayPals user terms and agreement.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi GittiBee,

Thank you for posting.

We’re sorry to hear this. Have you completed all steps in your Resolution Centre yet?

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. I would recommend you calling PayPal Customer Services by clicking onto Contact us on any PayPal page as they will be able to review your account and provide you with the best course of action.

We also provide support via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope this will be resolved for you soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

annoyed3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anna how do things work with paypal in australia because i cant even get a "real" person to talk to when i call the listed contact numbers all i get is a recorded message with hints on how to use /resolves issues with paypal  NOT happy. I to want to know why they want photo ID AND proof of address and how secure is that info if i do send it through in today's day and age you cant blame people for being wary about giving this information out

Login to Me Too

annoyed3
Contributor
Contributor

I too have now been hit by this but I am in australia and when i ring the listed contact numbers all i get is a recording that loops over and over without even a hint of how to speak to a real person .................. My bank doesnt have photo id or proof of address either. I want to link my paypal to my ebay account which has my address surely this would be enough ?? anyway its very frustrating to say the least !!!

Login to Me Too

Valerieee
New Community Member

Hi my daughter has been aske to provide photo id but hse doesnt have a passport or a driving licence so what can she do??

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Valerieee,

Welcome to the community forum,

If your daughter has been asked for ID but doesn't have any, there are other options. She can supply us with a copy of her birth certificate accompanied by a government issued letter showing her name and address. That can be an official letter from any government agency issued within the last 12 months. 

I hope this helps. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Melukeyouluke
New Community Member
Conor I too have had my account suspended due to not providing my details! I have no problems providing what I've got proof of address birth certificate ect... But I have NOTHING with my photo on :- no driving license No passport nothing what can I do? My 100% possative feedback taking a hit all the time I can't use my PayPal ! Any help would be greatly received Luke
Login to Me Too

knight007

hi, im have the same problem, but i uploaded the wrong information, the problem is i ran out of space to upload the right ID, does anyone know how to get more space, Available Space: 168.95 kb is not enough.

Login to Me Too

Saif1a
Contributor
Contributor

Don't trust any information from CS depts of any organisation on the first call, as it just changes to somethign else when you speak to another CS advisor or dig deeper. Far too often this is happening when you have problems with e.g. Energy firms, Broadband companies, Thames Water, Mobile Phone companies etc etc. The real reasons are usually a little more illusive and I'm not being a conspiracy freak in saying all this. It is really my experience in the last 5 years or so. So what's the real reason, something to do with money laundering, Bexit? Perhaps Paypal has just got too big for its boots and requires competetion. I'd like to see that happening for sure. Meanwhile you are not getting my Photo ID as that's just too invasive and Police state for my li Perhaps there should be a new way of Banking with real money and not laundered money or Quantative Eased money.

Login to Me Too

Talan2
Contributor
Contributor
That's unfortunately not correct. Don't receive any funds into my account and they've already verified my card so why do they need a copy of my passport. My bank doesn't need this. Looks to me as if someone in PayPal is looking to undertake ID theft
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.