Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Shimano,

Welcome to the forum and apologies for the delay. I understand your concern but these documents may be requested from all customers at some stage. This is because we are required to verify the information registered in PayPal. You can find more in this link

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

JohnBee1
Contributor
Contributor

Beware of  contacting Paypal  through Facebook or Twitter. I did that and received a genuine looking email  and form to fill in  to reset security. It turned out to be a scam to get my bank details, and even though I aborted the process before pressing Send they got my bank details and tried to use them.

Login to Me Too

Stefan4
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Pypal Conor 

I have an issue with my account -i cant get verified .

My Visa card expired a few months ago and now PayPal request additional info about me .

I have nothing againts secure measures but i already did what you asked .

1-You asked to verify my card by the 4 digit number -i did that 

2- You asked for pfoto of my ID personal card (identity card ) - i did that 

3-You asked for pfoto showing my name bank logo and the last 4 digits of my card and my name - i did that too

Is there anything esle i can do to get verified please i need to know .

Im ready to do anything !!!

Login to Me Too

ZEROscar
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me -- Not happy but I'll get over it easy enough.

I will not send you any personal information - FULL STOP

I Have removed you from my bank account - END OF

I am now going to close my Ebay account too - ADIOS

Told ya I'd get over it - SEE I FEEL BETTER ALREADY

Login to Me Too

R-Dada
Contributor
Contributor

In a similar situation, been using PayPal for many years without any issues up until now.

I recently made a large value purchace the prefered I pay via PayPal.

When I initiated the payment I was presented with a message saying the payment cound not be made at this time (or somthing allong these lines)

The next thing I know is my account was Limited. The resolution center instructed me to add funds from my bank account inorder to compete the payment. I added funds from my bank account, my account is still limited & the payment still can not be made. I recieved an email asking me to upload a copy of my passport, but no links or instructions have been provided, not even in the Resolutions Center. I fanally got given a web address to upload the relevant document. The problem is my passport has expired & I do not have a drivers licence. Now I have over £5000.00 in PayPal that I can not access in any way what so ever.

What can I do???

Why did PayPal ask my to add funds to make the payment & then not allow me to send the payment & stop me from accessing MY money in any way what so ever. This is now a very distressing situation

I don't mind PayPal doing these security checks but as mentioned in this thread not everyone has a passport or drivers licence.

They won't even return the funds to the bank account the funds were added from.

they:

Limited my account

Asked me to add funds - I then added funds

Account still limited - can not withdraw these funds or send payment to the seller.

It's outright fraud. should never had asked me to add funds in the first place.

will my birth certificate & a an official letter from HMRC (Inland Revenue) be sufficiant proof of ID?

Even the banks are not this strict.

I'm completely stuck

Login to Me Too

R-Dada
Contributor
Contributor

Quick update with regards the the above post. My account limitation has now been lifeted, but I'm still unable to send payments.

very annoying and highly distressing situation 

Login to Me Too

HelenLouise1308
Contributor
Contributor
Im in exactly the same situation as alot of you! Ive reached my £2500 (receiving) limit on my account, i have sent over the correct info they have asked for but wanted more for proof of address. However i have no utility bills in my name they are in my partners and have no bank starements with my current surname (got married) and i dont receive them anymore (ebills).. So what do i do if my payslip isnt enough!? Arghhhh 😩
Login to Me Too

Trickyvicky37
Contributor
Contributor
Absolutly discusting. This is happened to my son and its rediculous. He sold thing legitamatly because he needed the money. Paypal have frozen his profit and asked for photo id and documents and all sorts of rediculous request because it looks suspicious. This is laughable. Arnt WE the ones thats supposed to report suspicious activity. He was making money not spending it.. personnally theres not a chance on earth i'd give anyone including my bank any photo id...and what the **bleep** do they need to see bank statments for? This is under no uncertain terms suspicious in itself. Sorry paypal you've failed to explain clearly so far and believe you are withholding for a purly economic reason. Do you gain interest for your bank the longer funds are held in your posession? If not can we see some proof you dont? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander after all. I can only suggest people try selling sites like gumtree and there are lots more ive not had a problem selling without paypal in fact its been less of a ball ache!
Login to Me Too

Stefan4
Contributor
Contributor

This is very frustrating i still cant add funds in my balance and a few friends of mine in town reported the same problem!!

I did what they asked of me and still cant add funds in my paypa!!!!!

When i visited my bank they told me -" dont send your personal info no matter what  "????????????

Whats the meaning of this ???AND still i did i sended my photo of my id card and my card showing my name and the last 4 digits i verified my 4 digit papypal verigfication code for what ???

Login to Me Too

JohnBee1
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem earlier this year and they eventually accepted a copy of my birth certificate and a letter to my address from HMRC.

They did suggest a driving license at one stage.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.