Paypal account limited after beeing hacked

la-paloma
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

My account was hacked in the end of september. Unfortunatelly I was sick that week and haven't checked my e-mails properly. Then about a week ago I entered my Paypal account to pay some bills it was limited.

There was a possibility to sent a code to my cellphone to verify that I do own that account. I did it, get code and entered it.

Right after that I received an e-mail from paypal asking me to send them a copy of my passport and bank statement for a card xxxx. There was not mentioned cart type, only 4 last digits.

I send them my passport copy and them made a mistake answering about card statement. One of my cards was replaced several months ago and I didn't remember its number. So I thought Paypal asking me about that card answered that it does not exist anymore. And sent e-mail to them like this.

After that I logged into my mailbox again and decided to check older pages. I sell online, so my inbox is always "clogged" with notifications of sales and transactions. And then I saw all that notifications from Paypal about new card beeing added and that I have to confirm it. Then a requaest to withdraw $295.00 and after all that notification that my account is limited.

I immidiatelly wrote to Paypal again, saying that I missinformed them and I do not own visa card, haven't added new cards recently or requested a withdraw. I get back only autoreplies.

So how long does it take for Paypal to review my documents and what else can I do to help them identify myself. I still need to pay some bills

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @la-paloma,

Welcome to the community.  I'm sorry  to hear that your account has been compromised.  Don't worry, we offer full protection for any unauthorized payments that may have been sent.

Generally speaking limitations related to account takeover for US accounts are reviewed promptly after the steps in the Resolution Center have been completed.  The limitation should show as being reviewed by PayPal otherwise there may still be steps left to complete before we review.

I recommend going to the Resolution Center and making sure that all steps have been completed.  If a customer cannot complete a step, we recommend completing as many steps as possible then contacting us.

Here are the options for contacting support:

Phone/Email: https://www.paypal.com/contactus

Twitter

Facebook

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.