PayPal Won't Change My Name

bkimball
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly, I'm close to giving up on PayPal. This had been beyond frustrating. 

I legally changed my name about three weeks ago. It's been changed with almost every other agency- insurance, my bank, the DMV. I have an updated driver's licene, a court order. Since I got my name changed with the court, I've been trying to change my legal name on my PayPal account. 

I kid you not, I've been faxing and uploading both my court order and my license to PayPal for days with no confirmation that the materials were even received. I called customer service. Agent was rude but she told me to email a provided address (note that none of this information is actually on the site). I haven't even gotten confirmation that the email was received. I was even told over the phone that it would take "three weeks" to "verify" my documentation. Three weeks? This is ridiculous. I'm a freelance writer who uses PayPal to receive payments and send out invoices. If my legal name can't be changed on my PayPal account, this service is basically useless. My name's been changed with the bank. 

Beyond frustrated and now considering abandoning PayPal. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkimball

Here’s how you can change your name:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile.
  3. Click Change beside "Name."
  4. Select the appropriate option and click Continue.
  5. Follow the instructions to change your name.

If you’re changing your business contact name or have legally changed your name, you will need to submit documentation for our review. It normally takes 3-5 business days for a review.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bkimball
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I've already done that though. I uploaded my documents through that process multiple times. So should I just wait for the documents to be reviewed in that case and call again if I don't see anything change by the end of the week?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkimball

OK if you have uploaded the documents....they are not the quickest  Smiley Sad

I would certainly try phoning again OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bkimball
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Yeah, I sent them a message through Facebook, haven't heard back yet (but it's only been about an hour). Any idea on how long they usually take to get back to people through Facebook or Twitter? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkimball

When i used facebook it took about 24 hours.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bkimball
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, that's good to hear. 

Happy to report that I just got an email back. My name's just been changed. Believe me, I'm absolutely thrilled. Thanks for helping out. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkimball

Good news.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.